Pyne rolls back the years to take victory in Orwell 20 thanks to superb ride
- Credit: Archant
There was a smile on the face of Martin Pyne as he rounded the first corner in the Orwell Velo 20 mile time trial.
The north Suffolk rider who was national 25 mile champion in 1981 has just celebrated his 60th birthday and was on the way to winning the 60-69 age group award.
Pyne, who rides for Anglia Velo, completed the 20 mile circuit based at Debenham in 52:39, six minutes clear of the next in category.
He has been a regular contestant in regional time trials pretty much continuously since his first rides as a teenager in the mid 1970s.
Conditions on the rural circuit were bright and warm but there was a nagging crosswind on the long Ashfield to Occold lanes section. Overall there was a first-ever win for Leon West of CC Sudbury in 45:13.
You may also want to watch:
The dust flew at Norwich Flyers Summer BMX meet at Sloughbottom, where Eden Dorrell was the top performer for the home club, winning the Female 11/12 final.
There were second places for Kitty Bishop in the Female 15/16 and for perennial Alan Hill in the Superclass.
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 6 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 7 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 10 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
A total of 173 riders took part during the afternoon, with Braintree BMX Racing Club scoring the most wins.
Harley Matthews (DAP CC) took the win in the fifth round of the Lotus Series at Hethel.
The Great Yarmouth rider crossed the line just clear of Tommy Power, Josh Andrews and Mike Auger after a break of 10 strong riders rode away from the front of the field.
Lowestoft club VC Baracchi had a good evening at the Eagles Criteriums at Rock Barracks where their members Paul Hayward and Luke Powell were first and second in the race for Fourth Cats.
Among the Seniors clubmate Mark Richards joined Lloyd Chapman and Liam Manser in a winning break – eventually finishing second to Chapman.
Following the Rock Barracks Series, Wednesday, June 21 is the first night of the resurrected Ipswich Trinity Park evening series. All entries must be online and in advance – see Suffolkcycleracing.co.uk/calendar for details.
Ollie Jones (Team OnForm) won the Ely 10 in 20:18.