Pryce is right for speedy ace Stuart
It was warm enough for bare knees to be on view at the CC Breckland New Year's Day 10 – not many but several – which was a stark contrast to 2011 when icy roads caused the cancellation of the event.
Winner was Beccles rider Stuart Pryce in the unseasonably fast time of 21:29.
Second, and leading his club to the team prize, was Mark Solley (Diss CC) in 22:41. The other team counters were Patrick Ellis (23:36) and Mark Ready (24:27) while only slightly slower were Paul White (25:01) and, complete with mudguards and pannier-carrier, Andy Steel (25:13).
Some of this fitness must result from the Diss club's new weekly Wednesday turbo-training sessions. The club also maintains a Sunday clubrun (9am from Shelfanger Road West car park in Diss – see www.disscc.com) and a dozen or so members were at the Browick turn on New Year's Day encouraging their clubmates in the '10'.
Competitors in the CCB 10 found there was a headwind on the finish leg, but a wee bit of shelter from banks and hedges on the left saved riders from the worst effects.
You may also want to watch:
Chris Nudds, of CC Breckland, was best veteran on standard.
He also took fourth place on scratch with a time of 22:51 – at the age of 63 years.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 6 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 7 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 8 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 9 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 10 Parking debate and police focus part of crackdown on 'keyed' cars
Natasha Morrison (RLS CC, 24.02) was fastest lady and Mark Elmy (Godric CC, 23:03) the best on a single fixed transmission.
• This weekend the Cyclo-Cross National Championships are at Chantry Park, Ipswich on Saturday and Sunday. See www.britishcycling.org.uk/ for details.
• The East District CA local handbook with a wealth of details, in particular of local enter-on the-line club events, will be on sale at the East District CA prize presentation at Carbrooke on Sunday, January 29.
In general, groups starting near the early end of the start time window are more suitable for those inexperienced at riding in close formation.
• RESULTS AND FIXTURES
CC Breckland New Year's Day 10, Morley: 1 Stuart Pryce (Notts Clarion) 21:29, 2 M Solley (Diss CC) 22:41, 3 M Lloyd (Colchester Rovers) 22:48, 4 C Nudds (CC Breckland) 22:51, 5 M Elmy (Godric CC) 23:03, 6 P Jarvis (Colchester Rovers) 23:18, 7 S Culpin (Witham Whs) 23:21, 8 P Ellis (Diss CC) 23:26, 9 D Watkins (Anglia Velo) 23:41, 10 Natasha Morrison (RLS CC) 24:02 (1st Lady).
Veteran on Standard: Chris Nudds (CCB) +7:39. Team: Diss CC (Solley, Ellis, M Ready 24:27)
Local cycling events in January:
Sunday 8: East Anglian CC 50 mile reliability trial. Horsford Church Room, Holt Road. 8.30 to 9.30am.
Sunday 15: VC Baracchi 50 mile reliability trial. Oulton Community Centre, Gorleston Road Oulton Broad. 8.30-9.30am. Details John Thompson 01502 581481.
Saturday 21: Norfolk Nips 3 100km Audax-style ride Details: Keith Harrison email@example.com.
Sunday 22: VC Norwich 100km reliability trial. A140 lay-by, adjacent Norwich Airport. 8.30-9.30am Details Ian Doe 07931 446065.
Sunday 29: East District CA reliability trial and prize presentation, Carbrooke Village Hall, near Watton. Details from Don Saunders 01953 884297.