Progressive Dereham Town aiming to end maiden Ryman League season positively
- Credit: IAN BURT
Their hopes of achieving remarkable back-to-back promotions may be over – but Dereham Town are still looking to finish the term on a high.
Last season's Thurlow Nunn Premier Division champions have excelled in Ryman Division One North and until last week had an outside chance of reaching the end-of-season lottery to try and win a place in the Premier Division.
But a disappointing 4-0 loss at Ware put paid to any lingering hopes and now Matt Henman wants the Magpies to respond at home to Romford today.
Dereham's boss said: 'While they let themselves down last weekend, the lads have been excellent for the majority of the season and we now all want to put the result behind us and move on. It's really pleasing to have two games in quick succession as it allows us to train well in the week before using our squad fully over the Bank Holiday weekend.
'It is important that we finish a good season on a high and we are all wanting to perform as well as we can in our last three games, making sure we maintain our high standards that we set ourselves our the course of the season.'
You may also want to watch:
Defender Luke Hannant returned to the Magpies' squad for the Ware defeat and Henman praised the athletic defender's performance.
'Luke is a great lad and an excellent footballer,' said Henman, whose side sit seventh in the table.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 3 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 4 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 5 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 6 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 7 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 8 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 9 Three taken to hospital after eight crews battle holiday park blaze
- 10 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
'We would love to have him for all of the season and to be honest I thought be was out best player last weekend. It's great to have him back and it adds another option to our squad.'