Poxton’s Southern Area title defence tops bill on big Norwich fight card
- Credit: Philip Sharkey/TGS Photo
Craig Poxton will defend his Southern Area title on a big night for Norwich boxing next month.
The Lowestoft boxer will line-up alongside the likes of Nathan Dale, Zaiphan Morris and debutant Iain Martell as the city fight nights return to the Epic Studios in Magdalen Street on Saturday, July 22.
Poxton, 28, won the super-featherweight strap in sensational style in February when he scored an upset stoppage win over Boy Jones. It was a performance which won him BoxNation's punch of the month award and a contender for fight of the year.
'The night before that fight very few people apart from those in the trade knew Craig Poxton,' said Norwich trainer Graham Everett. 'By the next morning everyone knew who he was.
'Full credit to him - he deserves this defence in front of home fans. He is part of our group and very popular – he and Matt Smith (trainer) work extremely hard. Craig runs on Lowestoft beach in the morning, works all day and then goes back to the gym in the evening.'
You may also want to watch:
Standing between Poxton and win number 13 is Londoner Craig Whyatt, 27, who has a record of nine wins and three defeats.
'It is a very tough defence, but Craig is a good learner and has proved his quality,' added Everett. 'The Southern Area title fights are very well thought of and are a stepping stone towards English and British title fights.'
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
Poxton tops a bill that, at the moment, also includes Essex fighters Alan Ratibb and Connor Vian – with other names to be added.
Morris will fight for a Challenge belt with a view to an Area division eliminator fight.
'It will add more experience for Zaiphan,' said Everett. 'He is getting close to that good championship standard – we just need to make sure he is ready when the opportunity comes.'
Dale looks likely to move down from light-welterweight to lightweight for his first outing since November, when he suffered his first defeat after 20 wins.
Martell – highly successful on the MMA scene – is making his highly-anticipated debut as a pro boxer.
'I reckon it is one of the best fight nights we have put together,' said Everett. 'It is a very strong line-up – with more names to come.'