Poringland’s Richie Leech and Gorleston’s Charlie King prepare for Snetterton
- Credit: Archant
Richie Leech finally gets to tackle his home circuit this weekend – and he hopes to make an impact.
The 23-year-old has raced in Australia and California, as well as making something a name for himself in motocross. But 2013 has been all about his return to Norwich and racing in the UK, taking on the National Superstock 600 Championship.
He is racing for Norwich's Team Tinklers – alongside Sprowston rider Jake Newstead, now moved up to Supersport riding. And while the first five rounds of the series have been something of a learning curve, Snetterton is whetting the appetite for the Stoke Holy Cross rider..
'So far this year has been tough with riding a lot of tracks I've not been to before and with very little bike settings for the tracks, it's hard to get up to speed quickly – but I feel that with every lap I ride, I get better and faster,' said Leech, who secured his best result to date last time out with 11th at Knockhill taking him up to joint 16th in the championship.
'I was very happy with my last race. I felt great on the bike and my lap times were fast enough to put me in the top eight.
You may also want to watch:
'I know I have the speed now to run in the top 10 and I really think in my next race at Snetterton I can continue to improve and be a contender.
'My goals are to keep progressing this year and get in the top five before the end of the season, but of course I would love to be on the top step of the podium.'
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
The weekend will also see Charlie King from Gorleston in action.
The 16-year-old has entered the 2013 Triumph Triple Challenge British Championship, which also runs alongside the British Superbikes.
King currently holds third in the title chase after four rounds and hopes to build on that when the BSB Championship rolls into Snetterton this weekend.
At his previous meeting at Oulton Park, Cheshire, King secured two second-place finishes and intends to climb to the top of the podium in front of his home crowd.
The series, which is shown live on British Eurosport, has its own cup class for those who come into it with less than five points from the previous year – and young King is galloping away with the category lead at the moment after some impressive rides this year.
He will definitely be a rider to watch out for in the future.
You can follow Richie's progress on Twitter @richieleech33 or facebook.com/richieleechracing