Point for Ghosts, but Swaffham squander lead
Fakenham's encouraging early-season form continued as they won a well-deserved point in a 1-1 draw at Cambridge University Press.
But Downham's mixed start continued as they were beaten 2-0 at Cornard, while Swaffham went down by the odd goal in five at Brightlingsea Regent.
Fakenham almost took an early lead when a header by Julian Delicata went just past the post from Jake Betts' corner.
Cambridge responded well by taking the lead on 13 minutes when an unmarked player scored from a cross after Rix had parried a shot from outside the box. Cambridge had the better chances for a period before Fakenham settled down and got back into the game with a shot from Sam Garner going just over.
Both sides were finding it hard to create chance before half-time, but the second half started with both sides looking to attack and Fakenham almost got caught on the break, only for the resulting shot to go just wide.
You may also want to watch:
On the hour mark, James Bamford was replaced by Kristian Jones with Garner taking up a more central midfield role. Fakenham were now looking the more likely to score and Jones had a shot on target after 70 minutes.
Fakenham were now putting Cambridge under pressure and levelled the scores after a good run and cross from the left by Betts was calmly finished by Jones.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 4 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 5 Man seriously injured after crash
- 6 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 7 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 8 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
Swaffham Town surrendered a two-goal half-time lead, thanks to Luke Fell's first goals of the campaign, at Brightlingsea Regent.