Planters stunned as bid to go second is halted

Norwich United missed a glorious chance to move up to second in the Premier Division on Saturday when they suffered a shock 2-0 defeat at struggling Wivenhoe.

The Planters, with five wins in six games behind them, went behind on 39 minutes when Tom Cutts drilled home for the hosts.

Early in the second half Louis Cutajar tumbled in the box under a challenge from the Wivenhoe goalkeeper but the referee waved play on and the Essex side went on to wrap up the points when Markel Greenidge headed home Ben Licence's cross.

The Planters slip a place to fourth after Stanway won 3-1 at Kirkley & Pakefield.

Gorleston are just three points behind United after a 3-1 home win over Newmarket Town, with Christy Finch grabbing a hat-trick to make it six goals in four games. But neighbours Great Yarmouth Town lost again, this time 3-1 at home to Hadleigh United. Adam Mills' 16th minute penalty cancelled out an early Hadleigh goal, but the visitors won with a late strike in each half.

It was a much better day for Norfolk teams in the First Division – with wins for Swaffham, Downham and Fakenham, who both smashed in six goals.

Fakenham thumped Cornard 6-1 – three weeks after putting six past Ipswich Wanderers in their last home league game.

Most Read

Wanderers were the team that came unstuck at the Rec in Downham, as Town won 6-2.

To complete the 'treble', Swaffham won 3-2 away at Cambridge University Press.

The Pedlars ended CUP's recent run of good form with an impressive performance at the Glassworld Stadium.

Swaffham went ahead on 39 minutes, a driven cross from the left side met at the front post by Luke Fell, who knocked it in.

Scott Voutt set up Fell's second in the 65th minute, when a perfectly weighted pass left Fell to slide the ball past the keeper.

Press were awarded a penalty in the 68th minute, but Joe Jackson repaired the damage in the 73rd minute, beating two men and then scoring from 20 yards. The hosts got a second in the last minute of normal time, but Swaffham held on.