Picture gallery: King’s Lynn 2, St Neots 1

King's Lynn joint boss Gary Setchell saluted his men's bottle after today's FA Vase 2-1 fifth round success over UCL Premier Division title rivals St Neots at a vibrant Walks.

More than 1,600 home fans erupted in joyous scenes at the final whistle as Town's management embraced their players following a memorable league and cup double over consecutive weekends.

Robbie Harris slotted a close range winner on 65 minutes after ex-King's Lynn midfielder Lewis Webb's second half penalty had cancelled out Jack Defty's 33rd of the season.

Lynn will now fancy their chances of emulating Wroxham's run to Wembley last year, having sealed a last eight place in Monday's FA draw.

'Quarter-finals of the FA Vase - what can you say?,' said Setchell. 'Other than yet again myself, Kevin (Boon) and the players have shown an unbelievable belief and desire to win a football match. No doubt St Neots are a good side. With their spending power they will be able to get good players but for me and Kevin to put together a side with so much bottle that has only really been together for six or seven months is something else.'

'That is top in my management career. Last weekend was the top, but we surpassed that again. I was low against Cogenhoe on Tuesday but Kevin has had plenty of days like this one with Fisher and what have you. As a young manager coming through this is a huge experience for me. I got more animated on the touchline today than I ever have before, but Boony is always there to calm me down. What a difference a week makes. I was suicidal after Tuesday but I had about 30 phone calls with Kevin the following day and now this is the best high I've had.'

Setchell reserved special praise for emergency right-back Luke Thurlbourne after Town were forced into a defensive reshuffle to overcome the injury loss of Jamie Alsop.

Most Read

'On Friday morning we had to make a decision when we knew Jamie wasn't going to be fit,' he said. 'Luke Thurlbourne at right-back was a risk with (Kieran) Doherty in central midfield, but they were immense. The lad Dan (Jacob) should be operating higher, but for me Luke was man-of-the-match. Sometimes you have to make decisions as a manager and we got it spot on today.

'We could have brought Macca (Martin McNeil) and switched Bully (Danny Buhlemann) but that wouldn't have been fair on those boys. When we went and watched him last year he played right-back for Cambridge City and he was outstanding. I spoke to him on Friday morning and said can you do a job at right-back. He told me he was the best right-back outside of the Conference. That was job done for me.'

In selected other last 16 ties, Ridgeons Premier Division title contenders Leiston came from behind to beat Lynn's league rivals Long Buckby 2-1 in stoppage time. Holders Whitley Bay powered into the last eight with a 5-1 romp against Dunstable and highly-fancied Poole beat Northen powerhouses Spennymoor 3-2 on the south coast.

• King's Lynn: Street, Bexfield, Doherty, L Thurlbourne, Buhlemann, Watson, Spriggs (Harris 62), White, Defty, Bacon (Moreira 86), J Thurlbourne. Subs (not used): McNeil, White, Hails.

• Booking: L Thurlbourne

• Goals: Defty (52), Harris (65)

• St Neots: Trebes, D Moore, Davis, Webb, Fuff, Fordham, Hilliard (Skully 57), Hyem (Essendoh 81), S Moore, Tolley (Kanudu 74), Jacob. Subs (not used): Gent, McShane.

• Booking: Hyem

• Goal: Webb (61)

• Referee: A Degnarain (London)

• Attendance: 1,612