Picture Gallery: Dereham Town reach third qualifying round of FA Cup

Dereham Town secured their place in the third qualifying round of the FA Cup with a narrow victory over Chasetown.

Scott Sutherland-Gray put the Magpies in front just after the half-hour mark when he capitalised on confusion in the Scholars' defence to prod the ball home.

It got better for Matty Henman's side early in the second half when Nicky Howell made it 2-0 with a sweet strike but when Adam Gusterson missed a penalty Chasetown came back into the contest.

Danny Smith reduced the arrears from close range but, despite a few late scares, Dereham held on to secure their 11th win in a row.

Magpies' skipper Olly Willis set the tone in the fourth minute with an excellent burst forward from right-back although his cross was cut out at the near post.

Craig Bussens then had a half-chance after some nice interplay between Luke Tuttle and Sutherland-Gray teed up the winger but his right-footed effort flew wide when well placed.

The hosts then had a fright when Danny Smith got free down Dereham's right and when his pull-back found Downes on the edge of the box, the Scholars looked set to hit the front. However, an excellent block by Matt Howard stopped the midfielder from opening the scoring.

Most Read

A cagey spell then ensued from both sides before Magpies' 'keeper Andy Wilton was called into action to tip round Simon Brown's long range effort.

But just after the half-hour mark Dereham got their noses in front. It won't win any prizes for its beauty but the home crowd didn't care.

Luke Hannant's floated ball into the box caused confusion at the back post and Sutherland-Gray's presence resulted in Downes and Evans getting too close to one another and the ball was bundled home.

Sutherland-Gray wheeled away in celebration and his team-mates seemed happy enough to credit the striker with the goal.

Dereham started to pile on the pressure and Tuttle should have done better with a right-footed volley from the edge of the area but his effort flew over the bar.

Sutherland-Gray almost produced a moment of magic five minutes before half-time when he latched on to a long ball over the top. The striker spotted the keeper off his line and from all of 40 yards his audacious effort sailed just over the bar.

Dereham effectively put the tie beyond the Scholars in the 54th minute when the tireless Tuttle picked out Howell with a long ball over the top. The winger twisted and turned his way into the penalty area, bamboozling Teesdale, before hammering a left-footed strike past Evans.

The Magpies had a glorious chance to extend their lead in the 66th minute when a quick free-kick picked out Tuttle and in trying to recover Farmer brought down the striker with the referee pointing to the spot. Gusterson stepped up but saw his effort saved by Evans down low to his left.

Buoyed by their reprieve, Chasetown almost pulled one back when Danny Smith sprung the offside trap but Wilton was off his line quickly to block the forward's effort.

But Dereham could have extended their lead and Olly Willis was desperately unlucky to see his shot squirm just wide after an enterprising run into the penalty area.

The Magpies noticeably got more nervous as the second half went on and Chasetown took advantage in the 78th minute. Brown's cross found Teesdale at the back post and although Wilton produced a wonderful save to deny the defender, Smith was on hand to scramble the ball home.

Hannant could have settled a few nerves in injury time when played in by Tuttle but the midfielder could not cap a fine performance and blazed over the bar.

- Dereham (4-4-2): Wilton, Willis, Hannant, Howard, Starling, Howell (Roberts 84), Gusterson, Borrer, Bussens (Kay 89), Sutherland-Gray (S Willis 76), Tuttle. Subs not used: Kay, Woodgate, Fox.

- Chasetown (4-4-2): Evans, Farmer, Slater, Bate, Jackson, Brown, Teesdale, Westwood, Downes (Clarke-O'Connell 62), Wellecomme (Hay 76), Smith.

- Referee: Nic Evans.

- Attendance: 270