Picture gallery: Dereham Town Football Club crowned Thurlow Nunn Premier League champions

Dereham Town beat FC Clacton 5-0 to be made Thurlow Nunn Premier League Champions - Dereham celebrat

Dereham Town beat FC Clacton 5-0 to be made Thurlow Nunn Premier League Champions - Dereham celebrate with the trophy. Picture: Matthew Usher. - Credit: Matthew Usher

The champagne was in full flow at Aldiss Park after Dereham Town clinched the Thurlow Nunn Premier League title in style with a 5-0 win over FC Clacton.

Tha Magpies were 3-0 up at half-time through Sam Borrer and a brace by Aaron Kay.

Matt Henman's team added two more after the break from Luke Tuttle and a Scott Roberts penalty to seal a comfortable win - and sparked wild celebrations.

It is the biggest achievement in the club's history and ensures Dereham will go up to the Ryman League,

The victory was a great response from Dereham after their midweek defeat against nearest rivals Wisbech.

You may also want to watch:

The Magpies made a great start when Luke Tuttle cushioned a Craig Bussens cross from the left into the path of Borrer who slammed the ball past Clacton keeper Keith Tucker from 16 yards in the fourth minute.

After initial home pressure Tom Morrs chipped the ball forward towards Jake Clowsley but Andy Wilton left his line swiftly to claim the ball off the striker's foot. However Dereham soon increased their advantage when Nicky Howell found Tuttle who passed inside to Kay. The midfielder cut inside before driving home a low drive with the ball deflecting off Clacton defender Adam Daniels in the 21st minute.

Most Read

Kay then netted Dereham's third and his second goal of the game in the 25th minute when he again worked his way in from the left skipping three challenges before drilling another low shot into the corner of Tucker's net to the delight of the 231-strong Aldiss Park crowd.

The Essex side were struggling to compete but they won a corner in the 30th minute from which Billy Wales glanced a header wide.

Wilton had to deal with two long range efforts before the break from Jake Clowsley and Kevin Coyle but neither troubled the Dereham keeper.

The Magpies were well on course at the break in achieving their objective.

Luke Hannant struck a powerful 25 yarder minutes after the restart that just rose over Tucker's crossbar.

As play switched ends Wilton made a good save with his legs from Adam Daniels low close range effort in the 50th minute.

The home keeper then had to be alert to grasp Tom Austin's near post header following Clowsley's ball in from the right.

In the 58th minute only a great save from Keith Tucker prevented Howell from increasing Dereham's advantage when he turned aside his blistering diagonal drive. Dereham were pressing hard and Howell did well on the left before delivering a cross towards prolific marksmen Tuttle who netted with a skilful shot over his head in the 68th minute.

Two minutes later the Magpies won a penalty when skipper Ollie Willis was upended in the box.

Roberts coolly converted from the spot to register Dereham's nap hand.

With the game now comfortably won the Eastern Counties League cup appeared from the clubhouse donning black and white ribbons.

The Essex side continued to compete to the end but they never really looked liked scoring. D

ereham played out the remaining minutes and the referee's final whistle sparked great celebrations.

After the match Gary Osbourne sales director for Thurlow Nunn presented the medals and then the cup to the Dereham players.

*A gallery of pictures will be on this site on Sunday.

See Monday's EDP and Thursday's Dereham Times for full reaction on the historic win,

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter