Picton puts Pelicans on course to surge up table
Pelicans jumped up to fourth in Division 1N courtesy of a 2-0 win at Norwich Dragons.
Dragons started strongly and were only denied an opening goal by the woodwork, before Pelicans began to take control. After a spell of prolonged pressure, Ella Picton fired the visitors in front from close range in the first half.
Kath Johnson converted from a penalty corner early in the second half to ensure victory for Pelicans.
Norwich City, like their male counterparts, gained their first win of the season as they stormed to a 6-1 victory at home to Shefford & Sandy.
Sarah Shelley found Emily Anthony and she gave City a deserved lead, before the visitors broke clear to level matters.
Straight from the restart Shelley again beat her marker and fed Anna Horsley, who put City in front.
Another Shelley assist led to a second goal for Anthony and Horsley added to her tally to make it four.
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 3 Met Office to build 80ft 'golf ball' weather radar after winning appeal
- 4 7 riverside walks to try in Norfolk with a pub pit stop
- 5 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 6 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
- 7 Woman who broke both legs in multiple places after fainting thanks NHS
- 8 Police officer sacked for dishonesty gets job back after appeal
- 9 Platform offering stunning views of north Norfolk coast reopens
- 10 Loveable dog left for dead beside A47 as shocking rise in neglect revealed
Anthony completed her second City hat-trick of the weekend and Alex Woods wrapped up the scoring before half-time from a short corner.
In Division 2NE, Norwich Dragons II failed to turn territorial advantage into goalscoring chances and slipped to a 6-0 defeat against a clinical Ipswich III side.
Broadland let a lead slip in a 2-1 defeat to Harleston Magpies II.
Laura Parker set Tracey Buxton up to put Broadland ahead, but Magpies drew level from a penalty corner before half-time. Broadland worked hard but could not prevent Magpies netting the winner in a one-on-one with the keeper as they preserved their 100pc record.
A late equaliser earned Sprowston a 1-1 draw at home to Yarmouth.
The visitors took the lead from a penalty corner, but with time running out, a short corner was slipped to Marie Hood and she fired home to give Sprowston a point.
n Norwich City Ladies were well beaten by National League side Chelmsford in the England Hockey Cup, losing 11-0 at Taverham on Sunday.