Picton puts Pelicans on course to surge up table
Pelicans jumped up to fourth in Division 1N courtesy of a 2-0 win at Norwich Dragons.
Dragons started strongly and were only denied an opening goal by the woodwork, before Pelicans began to take control. After a spell of prolonged pressure, Ella Picton fired the visitors in front from close range in the first half.
Kath Johnson converted from a penalty corner early in the second half to ensure victory for Pelicans.
Norwich City, like their male counterparts, gained their first win of the season as they stormed to a 6-1 victory at home to Shefford & Sandy.
Sarah Shelley found Emily Anthony and she gave City a deserved lead, before the visitors broke clear to level matters.
You may also want to watch:
Straight from the restart Shelley again beat her marker and fed Anna Horsley, who put City in front.
Another Shelley assist led to a second goal for Anthony and Horsley added to her tally to make it four.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
Anthony completed her second City hat-trick of the weekend and Alex Woods wrapped up the scoring before half-time from a short corner.
In Division 2NE, Norwich Dragons II failed to turn territorial advantage into goalscoring chances and slipped to a 6-0 defeat against a clinical Ipswich III side.
Broadland let a lead slip in a 2-1 defeat to Harleston Magpies II.
Laura Parker set Tracey Buxton up to put Broadland ahead, but Magpies drew level from a penalty corner before half-time. Broadland worked hard but could not prevent Magpies netting the winner in a one-on-one with the keeper as they preserved their 100pc record.
A late equaliser earned Sprowston a 1-1 draw at home to Yarmouth.
The visitors took the lead from a penalty corner, but with time running out, a short corner was slipped to Marie Hood and she fired home to give Sprowston a point.
n Norwich City Ladies were well beaten by National League side Chelmsford in the England Hockey Cup, losing 11-0 at Taverham on Sunday.