Photo Gallery & Video: FA Trophy second qualifying round: King’s Lynn Town 6, Carshalton Athletic 1

Lynn were pretty in pink as they breezed into the next round of the FA Trophy with a six-y display on a chilly afternoon at The Walks.

Wearing one-off pink shirts - which helped raise more than �700 in aid of Cancer Research - the Linnets made it 11 games unbeaten in all competitions by thumping higher-level Carshalton.

Evo-Stik Division One South Lynn could even afford to come from behind as they beat another Step Three side in this season's Trophy to reach the third qualifying round.

Ola Sogbanmu put the Ryman Premier Division visitors ahead when sloppy defending saw him turn unmarked Lewis Taylor's mis-hit shot home as Lynn were caught napping from a corner.

But a Steve Spriggs brace - one from the penalty spot after Pico Pelayo Gomez had been sent off for hauling down Jordan Yong - put Lynn in control. And he completed his hat-trick after the break as further goals from Danny Beaumont, Russell Dunkley and Jason Turner sealed the Linnets' emphatic victory.

You may also want to watch:

Gary Setchell made two changes to the starting XI that helped Lynn come back from behind to salvage a draw at home to Gresley on Tuesday. Cup-tied 'keeper Danny Gay was replaced by Alex Street while striker Turner dropped to the bench - his replacement was Beaumont who netted his side's midweek equaliser.

Lynn's boss had called for a fast start from his troops as they looked to stretch their fine run. And they certainly delivered a better opening than they had in their last outing at home as Dunkley headed over Beaumont's cross.

Most Read

But they were asked to come from behind for the second match in a row when Sogbanmu slotted home following some extremely poor marking from the hosts.

The impressive Dan Quigley nearly pulled Setchell's men level almost immediately when his left-footed drive whizzed just past the post. But, Lynn didn't have to wait long to make it 1-1.

Ross Watson found Dunkley, who slipped in Spriggs, and his effort found the back of the net. That said, visiting 'keeper Nick Hamann should have done better as the shot, which was hardly thumped, squirmed underneath his body.

Higher-level Athletic continued to impress on the break as the Linnets grew into the game - especially Jordan Clarke whose trickery and delightful through balls warmed up a cold afternoon.

But the man in the middle seriously hampered their chances of going back in front when he correctly awarded a penalty to Lynn. Dunkley found Jordan Yong about 20 yards from goal and his outstanding surging run was only ended by Pelayo Gomez' blatant shirt pull. Nobody could argue about the decision.

However, the referee's call to send off the guilty party was deemed by some as a shocker. Gomez denied a clear goalscoring opportunity - but it didn't look for certain that he was the last man inside a crowded area.

To compound the misery for the men in purple, Spriggs slotted home the penalty, via a post, to complete his team's comeback - and the Surrey outfit faced the prospect of playing for nearly 70 minutes with just 10 men.

They almost equalised twice before the break when the sensational Clarke slipped in Danny Mills. He rounded Street but Lynn defender Ryan Fryatt raced back to deny a certain goal.

Yong also saved the Linnets in the 39th minute when he cleared an unmarked Sogbanmu's header off the line as The Walks outfit marked poorly from a corner again.

But Lynn, who had been on top, suffered the same bad luck at the other end when Quigley's header was turned away in similar circumstances by Luke Nolan.

That was that for another action-packed half at The Walks as Lynn took a deserved lead into the break after showing great character to come from behind to lead.

The in-form Linnets started the second 45 in assured style, spraying around passes and stretching Carshalton's 10 men. And they put one foot in the next round when Beaumont finished off another fine move.

Richard Bunting slipped in Watson and Setchell's marauding full back found Beaumont. The full-of-confidence frontman swept the ball home to claim his second goal in as many games.

Spriggs completed his hat-trick as Lynn threatened to run riot when he thumped home a 25-yarder and Dunkley made it five when he smashed home Quigley's fine cross - after the latter had regained possession with a thumping tackle.

Watson forced Hamann into a tidy stop and then hit the post - and a bar - with headers as 10-man Carshalton looked close to being swept away in the wind by a rampant Lynn.

And Turner sealed the rout in the closing stages - as Yong and new loan signing Sam Mulready went close themselves - with a clinical finish from inside the box to heap more misery on the Surrey outfit.

Lynn: Street, Watson, Fryatt, Lee, Yong, Spriggs (Turner, 65), Bunting, Quigley (Buhlemann, 65), Thurlbourne, Dunkley (Mulready, 65), Beaumont. Subs not used: Gulliver, Forshaw. Booked: Buhlemann. Goals: Spriggs (13, pen 26, 60), Beaumont (52), Dunkley (62), Turner (88).

Carshalton: Hamann, Nolan, Kamara, Pelayo Gomes, Bartley, Roberts, Goodman (Griffiths, 72), Taylor (Adelakun, 85), Mills, Sogbanmu (Pinney, 82), Clarke. Subs not used: Hay, Dudzinski. Booked: Taylor. Sent off: Pelayo Gomes. Goal: Sogbanmu (9)

Referee: N. Smith

Attendance: 497

- Video highlights supplied by King's Lynn Town Football Club.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter