Photo Gallery: Snetterton revamp honours big names
Some of the greatest names to grace Snetterton have been immortalised as corners in the Norfolk circuit's �3.5m redevelopment.
The likes of ex-Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton, motorcycling legend Giacomo Agostini and one of Norfolk's top racing exports Martin Brundle are all included in the track's revised lay-out, which coincidentally marks Snetterton's 60th anniversary.
Circuit owners Motorsport Vision ran a campaign last year for fans to suggest names for the new Snetterton 300's 12-corner, three-mile circuit, which brought more than 2,000 entries.
The revamp also includes one and two-mile versions.
Motorsport Vision chief executive – and former F1 driver – Jonathan Palmer, who designed the new circuit, is delighted with how the project has come together in time for the coming season.
You may also want to watch:
'This is an extremely important time for Snetterton, and I'm delighted not only with what we have achieved but also with the volume of glowing tributes we have already received,' said Palmer, who used several iconic corners from circuits across the world in his redesign of the track, with the aim to improve Snetterton's overtaking and appeal.
'When we started the process we invited people to contribute to the naming of the new corners, and our web campaign received a phenomenal response.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 6 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 7 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 8 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 9 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 10 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
'Fortunately there were some pretty dominant names and suggestions, many of which have been incorporated with my own views. It was important to select the most appropriate corner for each person however, and I am delighted that that each famous name fits with the character and nature of their corner.
'Like Agostini, one of the best motorcycle racing overtaking corners – or Murrays, which will see an enormous amount of drama and is just the place where Murray Walker's excited commentary would be in its element.
'When we embarked upon this project we wanted to completely transform Snetterton and give pride to competitors, spectators, fans and local residents alike, and I believe the announcement of such superb names for the new Snetterton circuit features will play an important part in achieving this.'
Chosen from the most popular 20 suggestions, Lewis Hamilton, Martin Brundle, Palmer, Frank Williams and Murray Walker made the cut – and all have strong links to the Norfolk venue.
Some old monikers remain, with turn one still bearing the name of circuit founder Fred Riches, while Bomb Hole, Coram and the Senna Straight also feature.
The circuit revamp is phase one of a long-term redevelopment of the site, which aims to include specialist retail outlets, conference facilities and team workshops.
Snetterton 300 hosts its first racing this weekend with the MSVR Season Starter, including Lotus Elise Trophy and Lotus Cup UK action, along with the debut outing by the MSV F3 Cup.
• Tickets are available on the gate, �13 per day for adults, with free entry for children aged 12 and under. Call 0843 453 9000 or visit www.snetterton.co.uk for more information.