Photo Gallery: Runners take to the street for Dereham 5k
- Credit: Steven J Lewist
Despite sweltering conditions a record number of runners took part in a town's 5km race.
The Dereham 5k, organised by Dereham Road Runners, is now in its fourth year and attracted 275 runners from across the area.
The fastest time was posted by Ash Harrell who came in at 15 minutes 48 seconds while Iona Lake topped the women's field with a time of 17 minutes 25 seconds. Both run for City of Norwich Athletics Club.
The other men to finish in the top three were Michal Wegryzn, 16 minutes nine seconds, and Ted Oldman, 16 minutes 10 seconds.
Nicky Alford, 19 minutes three seconds and Emma Patel, 19 minutes nine seconds came second and third in the women's race.
You may also want to watch:
Race director Todd Lake said: 'We have had a record 275 runners running today
'We also had 100 runners in the 1km fun run.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 7 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 10 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
'It has been very difficult conditions with the heat, especially for the first lap but it has gone very well, we have had no incidents.
'I am absolutely delighted with the local support we have had.
'We have had a lot of people at the finish line but also around the course which is really nice to see.'
Youngsters also got the chance to take part in a 1km fun run.
Winning athlete Mr Harrell, 25, who has returned from a sports scholarship at Lamar University in Texas, said: 'I've been injured for the last five months and have only been back training for three or four weeks.
'I didn't know where I was at so I am really pleased.
'I am originally from Dereham so it is nice to do your home town run with the home crowd.
'I used to run for Dereham so it is nice to be back.
'It is never nice being injured and I am happy that I am doing so well.'