Photo gallery: North Ferriby United 0 Lowestoft Town 0

Players from both teams surround referee Anthony Tankard after Adam Nicklin of North Ferriby United

Players from both teams surround referee Anthony Tankard after Adam Nicklin of North Ferriby United brings down Jake Reed of Lowestoft Town just outside the box during the National League North match at Grange Lane, North Ferriby. Picture by Richard Land/Focus Images Ltd - Credit: Richard Land/Focus Images Ltd

Lowestoft Town picked up a valuable away point in East Yorkshire – but will feel they could have had a bigger Bank Holiday haul.

The Trawlerboys were mostly in charge against North Ferriby United in National League North, but could not pierce the home side's defences and were ultimately grateful to their keeper Marcus Garnham.

He pulled off a string of fine first half saves, before the visitors took control against the one-dimensional Villagers and their long-ball tactics.

Striker Jake Reed was the Blues' main threat and he was denied several times by home keeper Adam Nicklin, who was lucky to stay on the pitch moments before half-time in the game's biggest talking point.

The Blues should have been handed a major advantage as Reed was brought down by Nicklin outside of the box after flicking the ball beyond the exposed keeper.

You may also want to watch:

Despite two defenders running back towards goal, it looked odds on the speedy Reed would have knocked the ball into an open net, but referee Anthony Tankard only saw fit to book the Villagers' keeper, to the amazement of Lowestoft players, staff and fans.

Earlier, the visitors created the first chance of the game on 14 minutes as Reed ran on to Chris Henderson's flick. He tried to round Nicklin, but was held up and instead laid the ball back to Andrew Fisk on the edge of the box, however the midfielder could only fire over.

Most Read

The home side should have gone ahead 30 seconds later. Skipper Liam King had a clean run on goal but as the midfielder tried to round Garnham, the stopper got fingertips to the ball, which was enough to put off King and he sliced wide with the goal gaping.

The home side were limited to long balls up to beanpole striker Tom Denton and feeding off his flicks.

However, a more delicate touch from Ryan Kendall brought the best save of the half from Garnham, as he tipped a chip from the edge of the box over the bar with 33 minutes gone.

After clearing the corner, a quick counter-attack for the visitors saw Ryan Jarvis release Bradley Woods-Garness on the right edge of the box, but Nicklin saved his low shot at the near post.

Three minutes before the break, the Trawlerboys were indebted to Garnham again as he superbly parried Denton's close-range header for another corner.

After seeing Nicklin stay on the pitch, the Blues' displeasure was heightened on 58 minutes as Nicklin made a stunning save to deny Reed. The forward got on the end of a cross from Ryan Jarvis from the right flank, but Nicklin stuck out a left hand to thwart him from eight yards.

Reed was again foiled by Nicklin on 80 minutes remaining as the visitors continued to strive for victory.

But as they looked likely to nick the win, Garnham was called into action in injury-time to repel a Curtis Bateson drive from 18 yards out.

Next up for Lowestoft is the visit of ambitious FC United of Manchester and their large travelling support to Crown Meadow on Saturday (3pm kick-off).

For full match statistics, ratings and reaction from yesterday's match, see today's Eastern Daily Press.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus