Photo gallery: Norfolk tennis aces ease into quarter-finals of Aegon British Tour event at Easton College Tennis Centre
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2014
Norfolk number one Richard Bloomfield has eased his way into the quarter-finals of an Aegon British Tour event currently being held at Easton College Tennis Centre.
The tour offers an opportunity for any aspiring player to compete against world ranked professionals and today, day four of the tournament, saw the seeded players enter the action in both the men's and ladies singles.
Former Great Britain Davis Cup player Bloomfield, now 30 years old, won 6-1 6-1 against Aneil Persad and will now play Maltese Davis Cup player Bernaud Cassar Torregianni in the last eight.
Norfolk number two and men's team captain, Barry Fulcher, was handed a walkover and will play Easton youngster Will Davies in the quarter-finals.
Fulcher selected Davies for his men's county team debut back in November and the 15-year-old proved why yesterday, beating Kane Patience 6-3 6-1.
You may also want to watch:
Easton Tennis Centre coach, Tom Lavis, was also given a walkover and now faces Enrique Vidal (Middlesex) for a place in the semi-finals.
In the ladies event, Culford School pupil, Maria Andrews lost 6-2 6-2 to number seven seed Sian Green.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 10 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
The only other Norfolk girls in the draw were playing each other. Second seed Olivia Nicholls, currently studying at Loughborough University, used her experience to beat 13-year-old Kathryn Barnes (Easton) 6-1 6-0 and move into the quarter-finals.
Entry is free for spectators, with play starting today at 9.30am. Contact Easton College Tennis Centre on 01603 731264 for more information.
For more photos of today's tennis action at Easton, see the gallery at the top-right of this page or click this link – Aegon British Tour at Easton College Tennis Centre.