Photo gallery: Norfolk Senior Cup semi-final: Wroxham 3, King’s Lynn Town 2

Wroxham v King's Lynn Town in the Norfolk Senior Cup semi-final at Trafford Park.Photo by Simon Finl

Wroxham v King's Lynn Town in the Norfolk Senior Cup semi-final at Trafford Park.Photo by Simon Finlay. - Credit: Archant Norfolk

Wroxham caused an upset last night as they beat King's Lynn Town to reach their second Norfolk Senior Cup final in a row.

The Yachtsmen, who lost 2-0 to Norwich City Under-21s in the county's showcase match last year, were expected by many to lose to a Town side who were keen to bounce back from a 5-1 weekend drubbing at Ashton United.

Unfortunately for Lynn, the underdogs proved they still had plenty of bite by taking an 18th-minute lead through Joe Marsden's 10th penalty of the season after Ryan Fryatt had scythed down Jack Guyton.

The fouled player made it 2-0 after the break and despite Lynn finding the net through Massiah McDonald and Sam Mulready, those goals were separated by Ross Durrant's strike which extinguished any chance of an undeserved fightback from the favourites.

Wroxham – who play one level below the Linnets – seized the initiative early on at Trafford Park. Marsden flashed a header over from Durrant's in-swinging corner and the latter stung Ashley Timms' palms from distance. All Lynn could offer in reply was Jake Jones' tame effort as they struggled to deal with the Yachtsmen's pacy surges forward. Fryatt could only stop Guyton by hacking him down and Marsden duly took advantage of the foul by stroking home from the spot.

Had Remy Gordon's dangerous centre touched a body – or Daniel Self's header been more powerful – the hosts could have taken control with Lynn rocking.

But Gary Setchell's men found some composure, of sorts, and threatened an equaliser on a couple of occasions. First, Jones showed some magic to work an opening but his finish lacked the quality of his approach play. Then George Thomson dragged wide from the edge of the box.

Most Read

A half-time rollicking almost certainly followed but it failed to inspire the away side.

Gordon played in Durrant expertly but, although he rounded Timms, he failed to hit the target.

While that angle was difficult, Guyton was presented with a straightforward chance after Timms palmed Durrant's cross straight into his path. The wideman couldn't miss.

A fightback didn't look like it was on with Dan Quigley, Thomson and David Bell scuffing attempts wide. Quigley had a huge penalty shout turned down despite appearing to beat keeper Robert Juhasz to a loose ball.

Some sustained pressure finally paid off as McDonald jumped on Juhasz's efforts to stop Bell's deflected free-kick.

However, sloppy defending ruined the Linnets' chances of completing a late comeback.

The Blues took a short corner, Marsden charged into the box, and squared for Durrant who prodded home and thought he had prevented any late nerves.

Yet there was still time for Jordan Yong to go close, Sam Mulready to strike an upright and then score and even Sam Harty to hit the bar for his side – who can now look forward to another trip to the home of Norwich City after this win in the last four.

Wroxham (4-2-3-1): Juhasz, Marsden, Halliday, Rust (Price, 52), Self, Harty, Drake (Cary, 64), King, Gordon, Durrant, Guyton (Sanders, 79). Subs not used: Groves, Doyle. Booked: King, Harty.

Goals: Marsden (pen, 18), Guyton (53), Durrant (85)

Lynn (4-4-2): Timms, Thomson, R. Clarke, Fryatt (Yong, 74), Lee, Bell, Mill (Hall, 61), Quigley, Jones, McDonald, Mulready. Subs not used: E. Clarke, Stocker. Booked: McDonald.

Goals: McDonald (77), Mulready (90+3).

Ref: J. Block.