Photo gallery: Lowestoft Town win 2-0 in pre-season friendly at Dereham Town

Action from the pre-season game between Dereham Town v Lowestoft Town at Aldiss Park. Picture: Matth

Action from the pre-season game between Dereham Town v Lowestoft Town at Aldiss Park. Picture: Matthew Usher.

A goal in either half got Lowestoft Town back to winning ways in pre-season in a keenly contested friendly at Aldiss Park last night.

Chris Henderson's powerful strike in the 33rd minute and Jack Ainsley's penalty early in the second half sealed the win for the visitors, who had former Norwich City strikers Ryan Jarvis and Danny Crow up front.

The visitors moved the ball well in the first half but the Magpies put in plenty of work to ensure the Trawlerboys didn't have it all their own way.

Ryan Jarvis showed a few classy touches and very nearly opened the scoring in the seventh minute, playing a one-two with Henderson on the edge of the box and chipping Will Viner from close range, only to see Dereham skipper Matt Howard clear the ball off the line.

Viner prevented Lowestoft finding an opener six minutes later after Henderson's ball to the left of the box deceived the home defence and allowed Robert Eagle to fire a shot towards the top-left corner, only for the Dereham keeper to stick out a strong fist and divert the ball over the bar.

Viner again had to be alert in the 20th minute when Ryan Jarvis thumped a shot at home from the edge of the box, with strong hands bringing an end to the chance.

It was Crow's turn to go close next for the Trawlerboys. Adam Smith played a good ball into Ryan Jarvis on the edge of the penalty area and the former Premier League goal-scorer cushioned the ball nicely to Crow in the area, who could only fire into the left side-netting.

Most Read

Dereham tried to get moving as an attacking force, with Luke Tuttle lashing a shot wide from 30 yards and Harry Barker heading just over the bar from the corner, but it was the higher-level visitors who made the breakthrough.

It came in the 33rd minute after an Eagle cross from the left found Henderson on the edge of the box, who lashed a shot at goal which Viner couldn't quite keep out.

That lead was doubled soon after the break, after a penalty was awarded against Dereham skipper Howard for a tackle on Crow that he didn't really need to make in the 51st minute.

Lowestoft's reliable penalty taker Ainsley gratefully accepted the chance from the spot and the visitors then did their best to see out the game in a professional manner, as the second half was broken up by a steady stream of substitutions.

Scott Mitchell headed just wide and Ainsley forced a good save from Viner with a long-range shot for the Blues, although Dereham did threaten late on.

Substitute Nathan Russell thumped a shot wide in the 79th minute after Lewis Butcher had challenged Jessup for an aerial ball.

Ryan Crisp also forced an excellent save from Jessup with a thumping shot from the edge of the box in the 85th minute but the Magpies could not force a goal.

Dereham: Viner; Anema (Mason 72), Howard (C), Barker, Wallace; Logon (Page 63), Sturman, Frary, Blake-Tracy (Butcher 63); Tuttle (Russell 63); Crisp.

Lowestoft: Jessup; Ainsley, Rossi Jarvis (C), Mitchell, Smith; Henderson (Bammant 59), Fisk (Deeks 59), Okay (Will 72), Eagle (Coldwell 72); Crow (Woods-Garness 52), Ryan Jarvis (Mason 59). Unused sub: Garnham.

Referee: Chris Pollard

Attendance: 81