Photo gallery: Lowestoft Town left empty-handed again after long-haul trip to Barrow

Lowestoft Town director of football Craig Fleming (left) and Lowestoft Town joint manager Ady Gallag

Lowestoft Town director of football Craig Fleming (left) and Lowestoft Town joint manager Ady Gallagher (centre) reacts to a decision by referee S Oldham during the Conference North match at Furness Building Society Stadium, Barrow-in-FurnessPicture by Greg Kwasnik/Focus Images Ltd +44 7902 02145604/10/2014 - Credit: Greg Kwasnik/Focus Images Ltd

Lowestoft Town's search for an away victory goes on – even after a 650-mile round trip to Barrow.

But joint manager Ady Gallagher was not downhearted after his side held the high flying Bluebirds for over 70 minutes before they went down 2-0.

'I thought we did really really well,' said Gallagher. 'We have come a long way with a squad that is really stretched with four or five players at home through injuries.

'I felt the application of the lads was first class. We thought we deserved a draw if nothing else but it is fine margins. We had a good chance at the start of the second half when the goalkeeper made a fantastic save to tip the ball over the bar.

'It was crazy that we didn't even get a corner – embarrassing for the referee and sad for the goalkeeper because he made such a fantastic save to tip over. Otherwise it is a goal.'

You may also want to watch:

That effort came from Jake Reed in the 48th minute when the home defence allowed him to run through on goal but keeper Tony McMillan eventually came out to meet him and got his fingertips to the attempt to lob him.

After Jack Ainsley wasted a fifth minute chance by firing wide after getting possession in the centre circle and beating two men as he pressed forward, Barrow did most of the first half attacking.

Most Read

It meant Jake Jessup was the busiest man on the field – but he never looked in danger of being beaten. He did well to hold a Paddy Lacey shot that took a deflection and when Sam Sheridan looked to have a good chance from an Andy Cook cross, the Barrow man tried to bring the ball under control instead of hitting it first time and Rickie Hayles stepped in to make a great tackle.

The opening goal came in the 72nd minute when Andrew Fisk brought down Jason Walker and the Barrow striker reacted fastest, with Jessup rooted to the spot, to turn home the Sheridan free kick.

'We felt a little bit aggrieved about the first goal,' was Gallagher's verdict. 'There was a clear shove in the back. It was a decision that could, and should, have gone our way.'

At 1-0 Barrow were far from home and dry and when Lowestoft gained their first corner in the 84th minute it was followed by another and another and a fourth – all inside just over a minute.

It meant panic stations in the home defence but no Lowestoft man could get the vital touch.

'Overall I was satisfied with our performance,' said Gallagher. 'We have got a bit more to give, there is no doubt about that, away from home and things will come right for us if we keep working like that.

'We defended well as a unit considering we lost our captain and organiser at the back early in the game. We coped with that really really well and were frustrating Barrow a lot. It was unfortunate we couldn't hold out until the end.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter