Photo Gallery: Lotus festival is a big draw
An enthusiastic and knowledgeable crowd descended on Snetterton yesterday to marvel at the colourful Classic Team Lotus parades which made up the non competitive circuit action on the Lotus Festival programme.
Basking in the warm sunshine, soaking up the nostalgia, local motorsport fans were able to watch some of the most iconic racing cars from the fertile brain of Lotus founder Colin Chapman demonstrated around the new Snetterton 300 circuit layout.
The Lotus 79, displaying the iconic Black and Gold JPS colour scheme and driven to the 1978 Formula 1 World Championship by Mario Andretti, was probably the most influential grand prix car ever with its ground breaking aerodynamics.
Demonstrating the car was Clive Chapman. He said: 'It's a good feeling to drive in front of so many Lotus enthusiasts and for the first time to be on track with our Classic Team Lotus customers.'
Displaying the traditional British racing green colour scheme was the Type 25, owned and driven by Nick Fennell, and was the first grand prix car built using the monocque design, which has been the norm for Formula One cars for over 40 years.
You may also want to watch:
The Type 59 car, built in the late '60's but never raced in period, looked resplendent in its Gold Leaf Team Lotus colours of red, white and gold which reminded many of the time when international motorsport was highly dangerous.
Completing the colourful spectacle was the post Chapman Camel Yellow Lamborghini engined Type 102 built in 1990 and driven with near fatal consequences by Great Ellingham's Martin Donnelly, who was present to cast an eye over the car which cut short the possibility of a glittering career. Current cars were also displayed with the Lotus Evora GT4, similar to that driven by Attleborough's Olly Jackson in the British GT Championship, showcasing the modern motorsport legacy which still runs through the veins of all at the Hethel company.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 5 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 6 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 7 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 8 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon