Photo gallery: Letchworth 28 North Walsham 21

Action from North Waslham's (green) defeat at Letchworth, Sam Rhodes. Picture: Hywel Jones

Action from North Waslham's (green) defeat at Letchworth, Sam Rhodes. Picture: Hywel Jones - Credit: Hywel Jones

This was a game the Vikings could have won, fighting back from 15 -10 just after the break to lead by six points with 10 minutes left, only to concede a long range try which gave Letchworth the momentum for victory.

David Treglown gave Walsham the lead with a penalty after two minutes. The early exchanges were stilted and penalty ridden, but territorially the visitors were more dominant and scored again on 17 minutes.

A rare Letchworth attack was stifled and the Vikings broke and a try was held up, but the forwards showed their dominance at the resultant scrum with a pushover try from skipper Mike Rouse which Treglown converted.

The Vikings continued to impress and Rouse almost scored again after good work from Davies-Horne and Chalk Hill Brewery Man of the Match Jacques Olivier.

On 26 minutes Letchworth got on the scoreboard with a Tom Ansall penalty. This signalled a revival and they were the dominant force for the rest of the half.

You may also want to watch:

The second was full of exciting rugby, bursting into life with tries from Freddie Redmond and Kieran Davis, the former converted, in the first eight minutes to give Letchworth a 15-10 lead.

Downing's return from a yellow card received before the break steadied things and Will Hodgson powered over from 20 metres, taking two would-be tacklers with him for 15-all with 25 minutes left.

Most Read

A 30m run from Sam Rhodes ended in his try being ruled out as the referee ruled the ball was lost as he was tackled diving over the line.

With 15 minutes left Treglown dropped a 40m metre goal, before five minutes later extending the gap to six with a penalty from halfway.

However, within three minutes the Vikings were behind when the hosts saw Ansall race over in the corner for a try which he converted.

Stunned by this setback the visitors lost their shape searching for an opening, but only succeeded in giving Ansall the opportunity to kick two more penalties meaning a final scoreline of 28-21.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter