Photo gallery: King’s Lynn Town 3 Ilkeston Town 0

Lynn's George Thomson strokes home his first penalty of the night. Picture: Ian Burt

Lynn's George Thomson strokes home his first penalty of the night. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Ian Burt

George Thomson netted a magnificent hat-trick as King's Lynn Town reminded the rest of the Evo-Stik Northern Premier Division of their title credentials with a convincing victory over Ilkeston at The Walks.

Two of Thomson's goals came from the penalty spot as the high-flying Linnets extended their unbeaten league and cup run to seven matches.

The Walks outfit made two changes from the team which came from behind to defeat Marine on Saturday, but it failed to disrupt their rhythm as Gary Setchell's side delivered another excellent display.

Midfielder Dan Quigley made his first full start for five weeks by coming in for David Bell while Ross Watson replaced Ryan Fryatt at the back.

Lynn made the ideal start when they took the lead courtesy of a 10th-minute spot-kick.

You may also want to watch:

Jake Jones was bundled to the ground by Luke Shaw in the box and Thomson made no mistake from the resulting kick, expertly putting it to the right of visiting goalkeeper Jordan Smith.

Ilkeston almost replied immediately, but Lynn were relieved to see Che Adams' long-range effort flash just wide of the post.

Most Read

The hosts should have doubled their lead in the 18th minute when Quigley threaded the ball through to Jones, who toe-poked his effort wide with the goal at his mercy.

Lynn continued to lay siege on the visiting goal with Kieran Wallace scrambling the ball clear for a corner with Steve Spriggs waiting to pounce.

Defender Henry Eze then saw his header gathered at the second attempt by Smith before Spriggs' curling effort crashed back off the Ilkeston post a few minutes later.

The second goal eventually arrived in the 28th minute after Lynn were awarded their second spot-kick of the night following Akil Wright's foul on Thomson.

Thomson confidently stepped forward to place his kick to the identical side as his first – low and hard to Smith's right.

Adams tried his luck from long range and was denied by the giant frame of Eze, but the Robins were never at the races in the opening 45 minutes of the encounter.

Three minutes after the restart, Street was at full stretch to keep out Wallace's effort just outside the box as Ilkeston threatened to find a way back into the game.

Frew should have put the match beyond Ilkeston's reach in the 62nd minute when he raced onto a clearance, only to drag his shot wide of the target.

Lynn's third did arrive 11 minutes from time when Jones played in Thomson and the forward cut inside his marker to emphatically complete his treble.

Substitute Sam Mulready stabbed home a late fourth, only for the offside flag to deny him a goal.

King's Lynn Town: Street, Ramm, Yong, Eze, Watson, Bridges, Spriggs (Bell 68), Quigley, Frew (Stocker 84), Thomson, Jones (Mulready 80).

Goals: Thomson 11, 28 (penalties) and 79.

Ilkeston Town: Smith, Shaw (Reid 65), Wallace, Wright, Maguire, Lane, Morgan, Chettle, Duffy (Waite 59), Richards (Williams), Adams.

Booked: Maguire.

Attendance: 390.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus