Photo Gallery: King’s Lynn 1, Wellingborough 0
Ross Watson popped up with the only goal of the game midway through the second half as the Linnets moved to within a point of UCL Premier Division leaders St Neots with this hard fought victory at a muddy Walks.
Wellingborough arrived on a ten match winning run and gave the home side the biggest test of their title credentials yet in an entertaining game played in awful conditions.
The lively Dan Surridge had two early chances to put the visitors ahead which kept keeper Alex Street busy.
Jack Defty had a headed effort ruled out for a foul and Jamie Thurlbourne tested Stuart Dorrill from distance but it was Wellingborough who should have been ahead as Michael Boyle-Chong outpaced the home defence and rounded Street only to see the mud engulf the ball two yards from the goal which allowed Watson to clear the danger.
The Linnets finally found their cutting edge in the second spell. Jamie Thurlbourne was seeing more of the ball and it was he who found brother Luke who rattled Dorrill's bar from fully 30 yards.
You may also want to watch:
Defty headed over from close range moments later as Lynn took full control of the match. Wellingborough were giving away needless free kicks and it was from one of these that Watson scored the game's solitary goal as he rifled home at the second attempt past a stranded Dorrill which prompted a sprint along the grandstand touchline from the central defender kissing the club's badge on his muddied shirt. Late on, Street produced a top drawer save to deny Ben Johnson from close range to preserve three more vital points as Lynn's title challenge gained further momentum.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
King's Lynn Town: Street, Doherty, Alsop, Luke Thurlbourne, Buhlemann, Watson, Bexfield (Spriggs), White, Defty, Ogbonna (Harris), Jamie Thurlbourne. Subs (not used): McNeil, Reeve, Johnson.
Bookings: Bexfield, White
Goal: Watson (68)
Wellingborough Town: Dorrill, Spaughton, Smith, Redding, Sturgess, Parkes (Webster), Richardson (Johnson), Surridge, Cray, Oulton, Boyle-Chong. Subs (not used): Hartley, Flannagan.
Bookings: Surridge, Oulton
Referee: Mr G Winwright (Woodhall Spa)