Photo Gallery: King’s Lynn 1, Wellingborough 0
Ross Watson popped up with the only goal of the game midway through the second half as the Linnets moved to within a point of UCL Premier Division leaders St Neots with this hard fought victory at a muddy Walks.
Wellingborough arrived on a ten match winning run and gave the home side the biggest test of their title credentials yet in an entertaining game played in awful conditions.
The lively Dan Surridge had two early chances to put the visitors ahead which kept keeper Alex Street busy.
Jack Defty had a headed effort ruled out for a foul and Jamie Thurlbourne tested Stuart Dorrill from distance but it was Wellingborough who should have been ahead as Michael Boyle-Chong outpaced the home defence and rounded Street only to see the mud engulf the ball two yards from the goal which allowed Watson to clear the danger.
The Linnets finally found their cutting edge in the second spell. Jamie Thurlbourne was seeing more of the ball and it was he who found brother Luke who rattled Dorrill's bar from fully 30 yards.
You may also want to watch:
Defty headed over from close range moments later as Lynn took full control of the match. Wellingborough were giving away needless free kicks and it was from one of these that Watson scored the game's solitary goal as he rifled home at the second attempt past a stranded Dorrill which prompted a sprint along the grandstand touchline from the central defender kissing the club's badge on his muddied shirt. Late on, Street produced a top drawer save to deny Ben Johnson from close range to preserve three more vital points as Lynn's title challenge gained further momentum.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 5 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 6 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 7 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 8 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
King's Lynn Town: Street, Doherty, Alsop, Luke Thurlbourne, Buhlemann, Watson, Bexfield (Spriggs), White, Defty, Ogbonna (Harris), Jamie Thurlbourne. Subs (not used): McNeil, Reeve, Johnson.
Bookings: Bexfield, White
Goal: Watson (68)
Wellingborough Town: Dorrill, Spaughton, Smith, Redding, Sturgess, Parkes (Webster), Richardson (Johnson), Surridge, Cray, Oulton, Boyle-Chong. Subs (not used): Hartley, Flannagan.
Bookings: Surridge, Oulton
Referee: Mr G Winwright (Woodhall Spa)