Photo gallery: King leads the way as Wroxham beat Tilbury 4-2

Wroxham v Tilbury football action. Centre, Jordan King celebrating his second goal of the match.PHOT

Wroxham v Tilbury football action. Centre, Jordan King celebrating his second goal of the match.PHOTO: ANTONY KELLY - Credit: Archant

Wroxham produced a scintillating first-half display to help them towards a confident 4-2 win against Tilbury.

The Yachtsmen welcomed back captain Matt Halliday at the expense of Sam Harty, with Jordan King pushing into midfield and Jack Guyton earning a starting berth ahead of Kieren Joseph.

King scored twice in a whirlwind opening 14 minutes from The Yachtsmen, two corners allowing the midfielder to tap in at the back post in almost identical fashion.

Wroxham were playing with all the pace and urgency, Jack Guyton dispossessing Sam West deep in Tilbury territory to spark a three on two situation, his pass finding Stephen Drake just inside the box, who couldn't convert.

Their third came from a characteristic Joe Marsden run down the right after 30 minutes, the defender firing in a cross that Tristan Hickman tipped straight into Guyton's path, and the midfielder sent the keeper the wrong way to place his effort into the bottom corner.

The Yachtsmen were going for the jugular, grabbing a fourth with seven minutes left of the half to seal their commanding position.

Another Durrant corner wasn't cleared by the visitors, Halliday flicked an outrageous backheel over the defence from the clearance into Drake's path, who struck his effort across Hickman and into the bottom-right corner.

Most Read

Tilbury came out with more purpose after the break and found a reply, Aaron Waters' 56th-minute corner finding its way to the back post, with Harrison Tweddell battling amongst a mass of bodies to deflect it in for 4-1.

Waters was then lucky not to be shown a red card as Tilbury's frustrations boiled over, the defender seeming to spit in the direction of Remy Gordon in an unsavoury exchange that the referee decided not to punish.

Mitchell Gilbey's calm finish with 12 minutes to go then made things slightly uneasy for the hosts, but they held out for a well deserved victory, with Waters getting the red card he arguably should have received 20 minutes previous in the dying moments to compound a miserable day for the visitors.

- View a gallery of photos from the game at the top-right of this page.