Photo gallery: Gorleston beat Norwich City U21s 2-0 in semi-final of Norfolk Senior Cup
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Gorleston have knocked Norwich City's Under-21s out of the Norfolk Senior Cup tonight.
The win at Emerald Park was the eighth in nine games for Stewart Larter's in-form side and prevented the young Canaries from defending the trophy they won last season.
Both teams battled their way through a tight first half but neither side was able to break the deadlock before half-time.
Gorleston then took the lead in the 58th minute after some hesitant defending from the young Canaries allowed Christy Finch to put the Greens in front.
They then doubled their lead in the 72nd minute and it was that man Finch again.
You may also want to watch:
The former Lowestoft Town striker proved why he was the Greens' top scorer, with 20 goals so far this season before last night's match, with a finish from the edge of the box.
Gorleston go on to face Wroxham in the final at Carrow Road on Thursday, May 15.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
- 10 Several burst mains in town leave homes without water
Gorleston are enjoying a strong season in the Thurlow Nunn Eastern Counties Premier Division, currently sitting fourth in the table and having applied for promotion to Step Four of the non-league pyramid.
They will now be looking to repeat their 2012 success, when they lifted the Senior Cup for the 15th time in the history of the competition, which was first competed for in 1882.
On that occasion, the 30th time the Greens had reached the final in the club's history, they beat Thetford Town 2-0 in front of over 1,100 spectators.
Norwich City's professional development coach Jerry Gill spoke to canaries.co.uk after the game, saying: 'We struggled tonight because we couldn't play the football we wanted on this type of pitch.
'In the end though it's about putting the ball in the back of the net, and we struggled to create enough chances and we didn't defend our goal well enough. Gorleston made it very difficult for us tonight because they worked very hard.'
To see more photos from tonight's match, see the gallery at the top-right of this page.
GORLESTON: Pride; Poppy, Taylor, Hinton, Howell (C), Armes, Garrod (Middleton 78), Sandford, Stone, Finch (Bell 90), Hough. Unused: Moughton.
NORWICH CITY: Matthews (C); Barker, Awuah (Lokko 73), Toffolo, Wyatt; Grant (Browne 82); Norman, Hall-Johnson, Hodd (Young 82); Morris, Loza. Unused: Randall, Killip (GK).