Photo gallery: Friendly: King’s Lynn Town 2, Norwich City Under-21s 1
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Norwich fans saw a glimpse of the Canaries' future – and maybe their past – as the club's second-string lost at The Walks tonight.
City's development squad were joined by defender Sebastien Bassong and striker Luciano Becchio who are clearly fighting for their futures at Carrow Road. And while both played 60 minutes, one was far more impressive than the other against the Linnets.
The centre-back, who played during the under-21s' 3-1 loss at Boston United on Saturday, looked determined to show his professionalism. The 28-year-old looked far more composed than his partner at the heart of defence, former Paris St Germain teenager and trialist Cece Pepe, 17, and pulled his colleagues about with all the experience of a man who has played in the Premier League. Becchio on the other hand offered little to suggest that he is desperate to resurrect a career which has never got off the ground since his arrival in Norfolk.
But it was another player who created the major talking point on the evening, and that man was Steve Spriggs. He was a shock inclusion in Gary Setchell's squad and could be set for his fourth spell with Town – despite being told his days at Lynn were over when he left the club, again, last season. However, the reformed outfit's record goalscorer showed his worth by setting up both goals during a 45-minute cameo that showed there may well be a new chapter written in his semi-professional career.
It was Norwich who took the lead in the fourth minute when Carlton Morris slotted home a penalty. Jacob Murphy and Cameron King dazzled. Yet the hosts eventually grew into the game.
You may also want to watch:
Declan Rudd hadn't had a save to make until Bassong went off and his defence fell apart. Spriggs teed up former City youngster Jordan Yong to level things with about 20 minutes to go before the wideman did the same for Jake Jones to win it 10 minutes later after Luis Duarte had robbed a dallying Reiss Awuah of the ball.
Other friendly results: Outwell 1 Lynn Reserves 7, Wroxham 0 Leiston 0, Gorleston 5 Caister 1, Thetford 3 Mundford 1
- 1 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 Man and woman found dead in home
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 9 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
Lynn (starting XI): Street, Ramm, Yong, Ward, Fryatt, Watson, Stocker, Quigley, Frew, Bridges, Jones.
Norwich (starting XI): Rudd, Norman, Fox, McGeehan, Bassong, Pepe, Jacob Murphy, Hall-Johnson, Becchio, King, Morris.
Goals: Morris (pen, 4), Yong (68), Jones (78)
Referee: N Walker. Attendance: 295