Photo gallery: Evo-Stik Premier Division: King’s Lynn Town 1, Worksop Town 3

Lynn's Dan Quigley. Picture: Ian Burt

Lynn's Dan Quigley. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: IAN BURT

Lynn were given a lesson in how to be clinical by red-hot Worksop during this full-blooded affair.

Gary Setchell's men went toe-to-toe with the fourth-placed Tigers last night but couldn't match their opponents' ruthlessness. While the Linnets got in some great positions and wasted a handful of chances, Leon Mettam, especially, made them pay for it.

The Evo-Stik Premier Division's top scorer notched his 27th and 28th strikes of the term, split by Adam Quinn's finish, to help his men keep up their awesome record of scoring in every league game this campaign. And while Rob Duffy pulled a goal back for the hosts – who picked up five bookings – it was too little too late.

The two teams shared five goals when they met in September and this clash certainly didn't disappoint either. Proceedings exploded into life with Lynn left-back Jordan Yong fizzing two efforts across the visitors' goal inside two minutes. Both shots whizzed just past the far post.

But for all of the hosts bright opening play they soon found themselves behind. Against the run of play, Jack Adams nipped the ball through to ace marksman Mettan and he rifled home. The tricky striker should have doubled his tally 60 seconds later but Alex Street spared defender Ryan Fryatt's blushes. From the resulting corner, Laurence Gaughan blazed over following a goal-mouth scramble.

You may also want to watch:

The breakneck pace showed no sign of slowing as Jack McGovern was denied his first Lynn goal thanks to a tremendous block by Quinn. Andy Hall had teed up the former Coalville Town player and taken Tigers' keeper Yan Budtz out of the equation in the process.

But the away side again showed they weren't willing to pass up such opportunities when they stormed into a two-goal lead. Street challenged for Jake Scott's free-kick with Tom Denton but didn't get take control and he was punished as Quinn steered the ball between a sea of bodies.

Most Read

The hosts got in behind a few more times during the remainder of the half but couldn't capitalise. Massiah McDonald and Marc Goodfellow went close. While the former's effort was tipped round the post by Budtz, the latter clipped over when well placed.

As the chances finally slowed, the bone-crunching challenge count accelerated. Phil Roe scythed down George Thomson before he gained retribution with a reckless hack. It sparked a melee, as referee Chris Francis lost control of the game, that simmered for the remained of the first period and down the tunnel.

After the restart, things slowly somewhat. But Mettam still remained at full tilt to streak clear and bag his second, and 23rd league goal of the campaign, in the 55th minute.

Thomson had a shot saved as Setchell's men pushed for a way back into the match. They found a glimmer of hope through Duffy's sidefoot finish following great work from Sam Mulready. But the comeback never materialised as McDonald lashed his outfit's final major opening wide and Lynn failed to make some late territorial advantage count.

Lynn: Street, R.Clarke, Fryatt, Lee (E.Clarke, 84), Yong, Hall, Thomson, Quigley, McGovern (Duffy, 46), Goodfellow (Mulready, 67), McDonald. Subs not used: Stewart, Ward. Booked: Hall, R.Clarke, Thomson, McDonald, Duffy. Goal: Duffy (71)

Worksop: Budtz, Scott, Roe, Adams, Quinn (Lemon, 48), Gaughan, Muldoon, Clarke, Denton, Mettam (Davies, 85), Higginson (Cole, 70). Subs not used: Williams, Elliott. Booked: Higginson. Goals: Mettam (7, 55), Quinn (22)

Referee: Chris Francis.

Attendance: 389

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter