Photo Gallery: Evo-Stik Division One South: King’s Lynn Town 1, Northwich Victoria 0

Striker Russell Dunkley's goal on the stroke of half-time stretched Lynn's unbeaten run to nine games in all competitions.

Gary Setchell's second-place Lynn had to wait until added time in the first 45 minutes to register their first attempt on target - but Dunkley made it count.

The giant frontman powered Steve Spriggs' excellent cross home to put the Linnets ahead during a half which had seen Northwich Victoria look the likelier to score. However, that goal, and an improved second-half display from Setchell's men saw then keep up the pressure on Coalville Town at the top of the table - and maintain their unbeaten record at home in the league so far this term.

Lynn were looking to stretch their fine run - which became an unbeaten run, rather than a winning one following a 2-2 draw at Rainworth Miners Welfare on Tuesday night.

Setchell's men hadn't tasted defeat in their previous eight matches but knew they weren't going to have an easy afternoon against one of non-league's bigger names.

Victoria were demoted to Evo-Stik Division One South last season for financial irregularities but have been tipped to be there or thereabouts this term.

And in the opening stages, they showed why many are expecting them to progress from the seventh-placed position they held going into the match.

Most Read

The Vics were bright and busy, despite only playing one man - Matthew Walwyn - up top. However, with numbers behind the ball, they flooded forward to support him and took control of the all-important midfield engine room.

Walwyn and Michael Connor twice shot wide from outside the area as the visitors took control. And the often-fast starting Lynn, who blew Romulus, Coalville and Kidsgrove away with electric openings, didn't threaten until the 16th minute as they tried to force their way into the game.

Striker Dunkley finally saw the ball and played in strike partner Jamie Forshaw who flashed an effort wide of the far post from the left-hand side of the box.

The half-chance only served to reinvigorate former Wolves striker Andy Mutch's side who quickly forced Linnets' 'keeper Danny Gay into his first saves of the afternoon.

First, captain John Hardiker curled a left-footed effort to Gay's right which he palmed away expertly. And then in more comfortable fashion he held Edward Toner's attempt from outside the box.

Lynn's fortunes weren't helped when man-mountain Phil Gulliver was forced to leave the field through injury. The centre-back has been immense this season, and was again in the first 30 minutes, but made way for Jason Lee.

Mis-placed passes, coupled with lots of huffing and puffing, soon became the order of the day as The Walks' faithful became frustrated. Jamie Thurlbourne shot wide as the groans grew louder - but those jeers quickly turned to cheers.

Two minutes into added on time, Spriggs' delicious delivery from out wide was met at the near post by Dunkley who crashed his header into the roof of the net. It was Lynn's first attempt on target.

The half-time whistle blew seconds later but the break didn't change the pattern of the game as Victoria started the next 45 on top like they had the first.

Conor Roberts' shot was blocked by Lee and the ball fell to Joseph Guest who, inside the box but under considerable pressure, dragged his strike wide.

Walwyn had a penalty appeal turned down after he tricked his way past Jordan Yong. And Mutch's men continued to threaten an equaliser - without battering the door down to find one mind.

Dunkley scooped an effort over Ryan Robinson's crossbar, following good work from Dan Quigley, and substitute Pat Bexfield forced the Vics' shot-stopper into a save, of sorts, with a cross-come shot.

Yet, as the hosts' ascendency grew, they looked likelier to grab the next goal with another fine Spriggs cross being headed over by a stretching Quigley.

The best move of the game soon followed when Yong, who improved as the afternoon went on, thundered forward from left-back and slipped in Dunkley. However, his cross was prodded wide from Spriggs. Lynn's big frontman then headed straight at Robinson as he went in search of his, and his side's second.

Spriggs should have played Danny Beaumont in for what would have been surely a certain clincher with about 10 minutes left but over-hit his final ball. Then Lynn's winger tried to make up for it by grabbing a goal of his own but saw his cheeky effort, on the break, drift into the Victoria goalie's arms.

However, Dunkley's finish in the end turned out to be enough to settle one of the least entertaining games at The Walks this campaign.

Lynn: Gay, Watson, Gulliver (Lee, 28), Fryatt, Yong, Spriggs, Quigley (Beaumont, 71), Bunting, Thurlbourne, Dunkley, Forshaw (Bexfield, 56). Subs not used: Johnson, Turner. Booked: Dunkley. Goal: Dunkley (45+2)

Northwich: Robinson, Gray (Luby, 60), Guest, Henry, Hardiker, Mercer, Toner, Mooney, Walwyn (Peach, 67), Roberts, Connor. Subs not used: Spotswood, Wright. Booked: Mercer

Referee: G. Sprague

Attendance: 743

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter