Photo Gallery: Elite League: King’s Lynn Stars 45, Coventry Bees 45
Owner Buster Chapman erupted with fury as King's Lynn Stars drew their final Elite League meeting of the season tonight.
The Stars chief ran up into the referee's box and tore into Dan Holt after a controversial decision in heat 12 awarded Coventry a maximum 5-1 race win.
The official decided Michael Szczepaniak had pipped Kevin Wolbert to second, much to the disgust of Chapman who screamed, while thumping the door repeatedly, 'No wonder I want to get out of the sport. Fine me what you like. Wolbert was half a bike in front. I was on the line.'
The call wiped the Stars four-point lead with three heats to go. However, a 4-2 in heat 14 and a shared 3-3 in a last-race decider meant Rob Lyon's side ended their season on something of a high.
The Stars had been hoping to end their campaign on a high by picking up their first home victory in three meetings.
You may also want to watch:
And in an exciting clash, which was surprising given both sides play-off hopes were dead, the racing had no end-of-season feel to it at all. The action was fast, close and brave on a slicker-than-normal track.
The lead changed hands throughout the evening as the scores remained close with Niels-Kristian Iversen and surprisingly Daniel Nermark starring for the hosts.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
Bees pair Chris Harris, who top-scored on the night with 13, and Scott Nicholls kept their side in it. But when presented with the opportunity to seal a victory, they failed to prevent Iversen from winning heat 15.
It was perhaps apt, on a night where he won the Mad Hatters' Supporters Club rider of the season award, that Lynn's number one ended his finest campaign yet with a race win. It secured one point for Lynn who will end the campaign in either seventh, eighth or ninth.
Lynn: Niels-Kristian Iversen 11, Mads Korneliussen 5, Ryan Fisher 7 (1), Daniel Nermark 10, Kevin Wolbert 6 (2), Ulrich Ostergaard 6
Coventry: Chris Harris 13, Aaron Summers 1, Edward Kennett 6, Kenni Larsen 8, Scott Nicholls 9 (1), Josef Franc 1 (1), Michael Szczepaniak 7 (2)