Photo galleries: Norfolk goes parkrun mad as ninth event is launched
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Some may question whether the legacy of the London 2012 Olympics is translating to participation in sport but one thing is certain, Norfolk has gone running mad in 2013.
The county's ninth parkrun event was launched on Saturday and saw over 180 runners take part in the new weekly 5k event at Catton Park in Norwich.
The event joins the already well-established Norwich parkrun at Eaton Park and another 219 other parkruns around the country.
The Catton Park event was launched on international parkrun day, after the event's UK originators this week celebrated its ninth anniversary.
In Norfolk an average of around 850 runners take to the start line for their local parkrun at 9am every Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
Dan Goodwin, health and wellbeing officer at Broadland, has been working with Active Norfolk athletics officer Paul Evans to get the new Catton Park event set up.
Mr Goodwin said: 'We had 183 runners, which was fabulous, it really was special and probably the highest opening amount of runners for a Norfolk parkrun ever, we think.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 3 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 4 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 5 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 6 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 9 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 10 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
'Everyone was really friendly, the place was really buzzing and we had some really great comments about people enjoying the course.'
There are also parkrun events at Mulbarton, Gorleston, King's Lynn, Fritton Lake, Sheringham, Thetford and Brandon.
Organisers are also collaborating with the National Trust to start a parkrun at Blickling Hall in November.