Perry’s pair puts City on right track

EAST MEN'S LEAGUE: Norwich City bounced back from the previous weekend's defeat to beat Cambridge Nomads 3-0 in Premier B on Saturday.

City imposed their authority on proceedings from the off and Perry's drag flick from a short corner put them ahead in the first minute.

Nomads had a player yellow carded midway through the first half and City took advantage as Chris Perry netted again from a short corner to make it 2-0 at half-time.

City continued to dominate after the break and they tore open the Nomads defence, creating space for Ben Cushion to score into an exposed goal. Nomads hit back late on but the City defence held firm to keep a clean sheet.

Dereham, having dropped points in their previous two matches, got their title challenge back on track with a 5-2 win at Long Sutton.

You may also want to watch:

Sixteen-year-old George Boldero made his first-team debut in place of regular keeper Tom Vaughan, who was unavailable.

Long Sutton hit a post early on but Dereham forged ahead when Richard Stainthorpe beat two defenders and slotted the ball past the home keeper.

Most Read

Despite being on top, Dereham could not add to their advantage in the first half as several chances went begging.

Dereham were lacklustre at the start of the second half, allowing Long Sutton to score an equaliser and only some good blocks from Boldero prevented the hosts taking the lead.

With 20 minutes to go, Dereham were back in front when Will Edwards broke down the right and set up Stainthorpe for his second. Again Long Sutton pulled level, this time with a penalty stroke after Mark Hunter had accidentally kicked the ball off the line.

Dereham were spurred into action and sealed an ultimately comfortable victory thanks to a stunning hat-trick from Mike Timms in the final 10 minutes. His first was a solo effort after beating three players to score, while the second was created by his brothers, Mark and Rick, and then he neatly touched in at the far post following Matt Stainthorpe's pass.

Dereham II registered their second win of the season, beating promotion contenders Old Southendian 4-2 in Division 1N.

John Allison crashed a shot home to give Dereham the lead and despite a couple of penalty corner scares, they held on to their lead going into half-time.

Old Southendian converted two short corners to turn the game on its head and with five minutes remaining Dereham seemed to be heading for defeat. Debutant James Fulford then broke down the right and crossed for Graeme Campbell to score the equaliser, before Allison lobbed his second and Martin Sexton followed up to net a rebound and seal Dereham's win.

Norwich City II battled back from a two-goal deficit to secure a 2-2 draw against Ely in Division 2N.

City, who had Mally Dewers making his debut as a goalkeeper, were disjointed in the first half and fell 2-0 behind, leading to some positional changes. The revamp worked as City dominated the closing stages of the half and following four consecutive short corners, Chris Keys finally slammed the ball home.

Tom Hindle squeezed the ball past the keeper to net the equaliser in the second half.

Norwich Dragons moved up to second in Division 2N with a 3-2 win at Market Deeping.

Ed Gould fired Dragons in front after stealing the ball from a Market Deeping defender but the hosts pulled level just before half-time.

Gould grabbed his second of the game after the restart, but just seconds later Market Deeping had again drawn level.

Goal hero Gould was then sent to the sin bin for a late tackle and Dragons had to withstand a string of short corners but with five minutes left the visitors won a penalty stroke when Danny Knights was bundled over with the goal at his mercy. Rupert Snelling calmly fired in the winner.

Dragons II handed a 7-1 mauling to bottom side Ipswich & East Suffolk IV.

Goalscorers for Dragons were Will Kirby (2), Richard Powley (2), Richard Phillis (2) and Andrew Kelsall.

North Walsham II had a man sent off as they crashed to a 5-1 defeat at UEA II. UEA took the lead in the second minute with a penalty stroke and doubled their advantage from a short corner. Tim Downs pulled one back before half-time, but UEA added three without reply in the second half.

In Division 5NE, Norwich City V were beaten 2-1 by Dereham IV.

Dereham scored twice early in the second half and although Ollie Kennard reduced the arrears, City could not muster an equaliser.

Norwich City IV lost 2-1 to Sudbury III, with James Cross on target for City.

Norwich Dragons III hit seven past North Walsham II without reply. Mark Flatman bagged a hat-trick, while Ben Dures, Alistair Green, Chris Harrison and George Walker were also on the scoresheet.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter