PBs the order of the day
Conditions for the Norwich Amateur BC 25 on the Attleborough bypass were good.
'The days you spend in a cold shed on a turbo-trainer dreaming about,' said Great Yarmouth CC's Neil Turner, who was one of many riders setting personal bests – in his case 54:22.
No less than 48 riders beat the hour for the 25-mile dual carriageway course and choosing who to highlight is difficult.
King's Lynn CC had no less than seven members finishing inside 60 minutes, while the Norwich ABC and CC Breckland each had five.
Rebecca Taylor won the women's prize with 59:00. Chris Roberts, who was the Great Yarmouth CC's 1977 25-mile champion, but has spent many years since then as a motorcycle racer, brought his comeback best time down to 59:34.
You may also want to watch:
West Norfolk men Peter Hopkins, 66, and 68-year-old Colin Bunnett set a national age record for tandem tricycle with their 1:4:57.
Winner was Sigma Sport pro Russell Hampton with 50:35 while second place went to Nino Piccoli (Team Pedal Revolution, 51:09).
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 4 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 5 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 6 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 7 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 8 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 9 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns
- 10 Norfolk Broads boating holiday company named best in Britain
Piccoli was one of several experienced record-chasers who felt that conditions were quick, but by no means perfect – a light breeze from the right direction and lower air pressure would have helped so there is hope yet for those who missed the day.
Conditions for the Norwich ABC 10 on the Waveney Valley Course were less favourable – it was hot and there was an awkward crosswind. Winner was professional David Mclean in 20:27 – making a careful comeback just four weeks after breaking his collar-bone in a continental road race.
Declan Davis (CC Breckland and Wayland High School) won the East District qualifying event for the GHS young riders' national championship '10' in 22:45, with Cameron Toms (Norwich School) second in 24:16. Top girl was Declan's sister Emily in 29:05, ahead of Isla Rush (North Norfolk Whs/ Reepham High) in 30:41.
Young Norwich roadman Josh Hannan played a prominent part in the national junior road race championship in County Durham, where his Glendene CC team-mate Jim Lewis took second place.
In spite of sunburn acquired holidaying on the Broads, Barry Charlton (Lyme RC) won the CC Breckland 10 on the Wymondham bypass in 20:14, ahead of Jim Burgess (Anglia Velo) 20:29 on an evening when conditions were average rather than super-fast as some had expected.
Liam Gentry (VC Baracchi) powered over the line to win the fourth round of the Ipswich Criteriums after bridging a gap to breakaway man Mike Auger and fighting off a challenge from Debenham junior Hugo Robinson. VC Norwich rider Auger had made his bid with two laps to go and the lead group left him on his own to wear himself out, before pouncing at the last.
There will be a fully closed road for the Gas Hill Gasp this Friday evening when 64 riders will ride in a knock-out competition to conquer the Norwich climb fastest. The first heat will be at 7pm, and the Lord Mayor will present the awards at the end of the evening.
• The very popular Garboldisham Audax rides will take place on Sunday, July 10. Start times are 8am for the 200km, 9am for the 100km and 10am for the 50km. Entries will be taken on the day from the HQ at Garboldisham Recreation Ground Pavilion, Smallworth. More details can be found on the Audax UK website.
• Norwich ABC 25, Morley: 1 Russell Hampton (Sigma Sport) 50 minutes and 35 seconds, 2 N Piccoli (Team Pedal Revolution) 51:09, 3 J Surtees (Team Swift) 51:55, 4 P Ashby (Wisbech Wheelers) 52:21, 5 G Rushmore (King's Lynn CC) 52:29, 6 P Jarvis (Colchester Rovers) 52:57.
• Other local club rider's times
Anglia Velo: J Burgess 52:58, M Pyne 56:31, D Staff 56:34.
CC Breckland: C Nudds 57:48, D Watkins 58:25, A Stevenson 59:38, M Wood 59:46, A Cross 1:00:00.
Diss CC: P Ellis 57:17, P White 59:25, M Ready 59:41.
East Anglian CC: G Stevens 56:28.
Great Yarmouth CC: N Turner 54:22, C Roberts 59:34.
King's Lynn CC: D Bloy 53:54, M Long 55:44, S Neil 56:36, G Smith 56:57, S Twell 57:37, D Collins 58:22, S Howlett 58:49.
North Norfolk Whs: P Bailey 58:18, R Turner 59:57.
Norwich Amateur BC: D Lorne 55:27, E Dean 56:32, D Moore 57:34, R London 57:48, J Turner 58:31.
VC Baracchi: N Esser 55:26, M Newnham, 58:42.
VC Norwich: N Vaughan 54:22, S Davidson 55:54.
Wisbech Wheelers: Rebecca Taylor 59:00.