Paul Stevens takes victory at annual Reedham Regatta
- Credit: Archant
The Yare Sailing Club ran their annual Reedham Regatta at the weekend, attracting 11 yachts despite the blustery conditions.
However, some were reluctant to sail on Saturday afternoon, feeling the conditions were a bit too gusty, so only five boats headed for the start line, all of them with a reef in.
Pippinjack was most suited to the conditions and Paul Stevens duly came home the winner from Sabrina 2, helmed by John Holmes and crewed by a selection of people from the non racing yachts. The only other boat to complete the race was May, with the Rhead family on board, but unfortunately they missed the last mark of the course, thereby losing their third place.
Sunday, although still windy, was not as testing as Saturday had been and eight yachts participated in the upriver race to Buckenham. This was mostly a reach, although a tacking and running loop was inserted into the course at Cantley, which again favoured Pippinjack to give Paul his second win of the weekend, with Sabrina 2 again coming home second and Steve Burton steering Sally into third place.
The running and reaching race directly back to Reedham in the afternoon favoured those with larger rigs, with the two integral topsail rigged boats, Sabrina 2 and May, taking the top two spots and Pippinjack only managing a third.
You may also want to watch:
This gave John Holmes the overall trophy for the two Sunday races, but Paul Stevens' two first places was unassailable when it came to the overall trophy for the whole regatta.
- 1 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 4 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 5 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 6 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 7 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 8 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 9 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 10 Norfolk lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named