Paul Maddy takes honours in winter Pro-Am series at Thetford Golf Club
Excellent conditions greeted the 106 players, including 18 professionals, who took part in the latest of the winter Pro-Am series at Thetford Golf Club.
In the professionals' medal event Paul Maddy (Gog Magog) showed his class to dominate the field.
Maddy scored seven birdies including four in a row between the third and the sixth holes.
A bogey at his first hole, the 14th, only seemed to inspire him to his score of 67.
In second place and four shots behind came Miles Collins (Stoke by Nayland) who combined two birdies with one bogey for a one under par round of 71.
You may also want to watch:
When your professional makes seven birdies in a round, the job of his amateur partner is to try and chip in on his shot holes either with a nett par or birdie. Maddy's amateur was his father Alan who knows the drill only too well. This he did , while scoring a birdie of his own into the bargain. The father and son pairing finished three shots clear of second place with a nine under par score of 63.
In second place were Adam Chamberlain and one handicapper Richard Cole who came in late with a 66. A strong finish with four birdies in the last six holes saw them sneak past two pairs on 67.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 4 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 5 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 6 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 7 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 8 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 9 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 10 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
In the am/am event experienced pair Steve Plumb and Tim Smith produced a great round of golf to post an five under par 67. Having won together back in November Steve and Tim were forced to split in the December meeting due to competition rules. However they came back together with a vengeance this month, even though Tim was playing with a broken finger. A disappointed pairing of Trevor Cave and Mark Jackson from Eaton came in second on countback having tied on 67. The reason for their disappointment was a closing bogey six on the par 5, 13th hole. The next event takes place on February 16.
Professional Medal: Paul Maddy (Gog Magog) 67, Miles Collins (Stoke by Nayland) 71, Andrew George (Ely) 74, Keith Capindale Scott (Watton) 74, Ben Kerr (West Suffolk Golf) 74, Adam Chamberlain (Peterborough) 74
Pro-Am: Paul Maddy, Alan Maddy (Gog Magog) 63; Adam Chamberlain, Richard Cole (Peterborough) 66; Keith Capindale Scott (Watton), Roy Brame (Thetford) 67
Am-Am: Steve Plumb (Saffron Walden) Tim Smith (Bishops Stortford) 67; Trevor Cave, Mark Jackson (Eaton) 67; Ian Carter, Gerry Day (Stoke by Nayland) 68