Paralympic gold medallist visits school in Cringleford, Norwich
Cringleford Primary School had a special visitor to their school last week as Norfolk gets ready for the summer's Olympic and Paralympic games.
Chris Holmes, a blind swimmer who has won nine gold medals, visited the school to inspire the pupils and to tell them about the Paralympics.
Mr Holmes spent a morning in the school, speaking to the children about their hopes for the future, and playing the Paralympic game goalball.
The children played the game with blindfolds on to simulate the experience of playing football without any sight.
Mr Holmes lost his sight at the age of 14, and started swimming for a local swimming club.
You may also want to watch:
He went to his first Paralympic Games in Seoul aged 16, where he won two silver medals, and by 20 he was a world record holder.
Among his other achievements Mr Holmes broke 35 world records and was awarded the MBE for services to British sport after the Barcelona Olympics. He has been directing the Paralympic integration for the London Olympics this year.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 4 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 7 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 8 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 9 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
- 10 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
Neil Henerey, the head teacher of the school, said: 'It was such an inspirational morning for both the staff and the children.
'The Year Fours especially enjoyed themselves by creating an Olympic-themed dance and everyone fell for Chris' guide dog, Lottie.'
Do you have a schools story for Local Life? Email email@example.com