Painful afternoon for understrength Wymondham side
Finchley 41, Wymondham 10: Forced into changes by late availability and injury issues, Wymondham could take few positives from this Senior Vase defeat.
Wymondham again conceded an early try as players stood off and a Finchley back-rower powered down the wing and touched down in the corner. Wymondham then put in a poor kick which was gathered by the Finchley wing who, evading some half-hearted tackles, plunged over.
A brief revival saw Simms land a penalty to make the score 10-3 but then the visitors, having won a defensive scrum on their five metre line, lost control of the ball and hacked it into the hands of a Finchley forward who shipped it straight to his centre who touched down and left an easy conversion.
Worse was to come as Wymondham almost immediately repeated their earlier mistake, kicked possession away and allowed Finchley to put the ball through half a dozen pairs of hands before scoring a try.
Wymondham were finding it increasingly difficult to cope with the speedy and powerful back row fielded by Finchley and sorely missed the experience of centres Sokia and O'Sullivan.
You may also want to watch:
Half-time brought some positional changes and replacements and Wymondham did at least partially stem the tide, conceding once more on the hour mark before James Wyatt, the young scrum-half, coming off the bench, made a typical sniping run from a set scrum and scored under the posts, converting his own try.
This proved to be the last crumb of comfort and Wymondham were by now visibly wilting in the unseasonal sunshine while Finchley were cock-a-hoop, closing out the game by scoring two more tries and one conversion.
- 1 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 2 Man seriously injured after Norfolk crash
- 3 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 4 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 5 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 6 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 7 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 8 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 9 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street