Five of the best places to paddleboard in Norwich
- Credit: Ella Wilkinson
Paddleboarding has gained popularity in the last few years, meaning more places than ever have them available to hire.
Here are some of the best places in Norwich to both hire and use paddleboards.
1. Norwich Paddleboard Hire
Where: Gibraltar Gardens, 288 Heigham St, Norwich NR2 4LZ
When: Daily: 11am-4.30pm, extra evening session on Saturdays from 5pm until 7.30pm
Price: From £19.99 for a two-and-a-half hour session
Parking: Available at Gibraltar Gardens
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 6 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 7 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 8 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 9 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 10 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
Heading upriver here will take you through the countryside's winding meadows, while heading downriver will take you into Norwich City centre to see the old riverside buildings. When you're done, you're back at the pub for tea.
2. The Canoe Man
Where: Foundry Bridge, Riverside Road, Norwich, NR1 1EE
When: Daily: 9am-6pm
Price: From £20 for two hours (evening hire) or from £25 during day for three hours
Parking: Available at Riverside car park
With launch spots along the Broads, The Canoe Man is perfect if you want to mix and match. If one of you wants a canoe and the other wants a paddleboard then that can be accommodated. Going upstream takes you into Norwich and downstream takes you towards Thorpe St Andrew.
3. Norfolk Paddle Boards
Where: The Red Lion, 79 Bishopgate, Norwich NR1 4AA/The Rivergarden, 36 Yarmouth Road, Norwich NR7 0EQ
When: Daily: 9.30am-4.30pm
Price: From £24.95 for three hours, pre-booking necessary
Parking: Parking depends on where you want to paddle
Norfolk Paddleboards allows you to take its boards anywhere, be that the Wensum, the Yare or the seaside.
It also has routes in place from The Red Lion Bishopgate and The Rivergarden, both of which allow you to go either into the city or east towards Postwick.
4. Whitlingham Adventure
Where: Whitlingham Lane, Trowse, NR14 8TR
When: Saturdays and Sundays: 11am-4pm
Price: £12 for one hour, pre-booking necessary
Parking: Available at Whitlingham Adventure
Paddleboarding around Whitlingham Broad is a truly relaxing experience, with staff onshore to help too. The enclosed water also means you can paddle without having to fight a current.
5. Summer SUP
Where: 28 Wroxham Road, Coltishall, NR12 7EA
When: Daily: 9am-9pm, half day hire weekdays only
Price: From £15 (evening hire) or from £17.50 during day for four hours
Parking: Available at the Rising Sun and on Wroxham Road
Though not technically in Norwich, Summer SUP offers endless countryside views. Heading right at the Rising Sun pub will take you along the River Bure through Horstead towards Little Hautbois. Heading left will take you towards Belaugh.