Oxford Hawks Ladies 1, Harleston Magpies Ladies 2
Magpies ensured their Investec National League campaign got off to a positive start when they won 2-1 at Oxford Hawks.
The game started slowly for Magpies and the Hawks caught them out on a counter-attack when an early ball into the D saw the visitors fall behind.
Magpies came back strongly with some good inter-linking play between Hayley Toleman and Emily Wilford. Quick passing soon found Wilford who score Magpies' first goal to level the scores. The forwards continued to press the Oxford defence hard and were unlucky not to score another goal before half-time.
Magpies came out in the second half and continued to press and they were rewarded early on as a penalty corner was won. Wilford fired the ball from the top and found the back board, putting her side in front.
With Magpies' superb fitness showing they were able to maintain the majority of the possession throughout the rest of the second half as a lot more goal scoring opportunities came. Sadly none were converted but Magpies held firm at the other end to take the points.
This weekend, Magpies face Wimbledon at home (12.30pm).
Squad: Charlotte Harrison (Capt), Lucy Miller (Vice Capt), Katrina Warnes, Louisa Greenacre, Lizzie Jones, Amy Campbell, Megan Adams, Debbie Francis, Lauren Barber, Sarah Brook, Jess Howland, Emily Wilford, Angie Wheelhouse, Rosie Butler and Hayley Toleman.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 6 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 7 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
- 8 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 9 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
- 10 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
• Harleston Magpies Ladies II had a fantastic start to the season, winning their first league match 7-0 against Lowestoft Ladies in Division One North of the East League.
Once the team found their shape there was no stopping them. Anouska Hipperson started her season with a hat-trick while Toni Glover scored two goals in only her second match for the Magpies. Emily Brown scored another by effortlessly deflecting the ball into the right corner after a strike across goal.
Holly Baker was keen to claim an own goal when her strike hit the goalkeeper's pads and rolled over the line.
Siobhan Cleeve had her second team debut in goal and had little to do, with a strong defence letting very little past them. The midfield worked excellently, tracking the ball back and forth supporting their forwards and defence.
• Norwich City Ladies made a spectacular start to the new campaign, winning 12-0 at Old Buckenham in Division 2NE with Emily Anthony scoring nine times.
City's other goalscorers were Ellie Brine, Anna Horsley and Maddie Taylor.