Our people in Brazil: Darren Cann joins Howard Webb’s refereeing team for another World Cup
- Credit: Archant
Darren Cann, from Poringland, will be part of a trio of officials which includes referee Howard Webb and assistant Mike Mullarkey for the tournament in Brazil this summer.
Mr Cann said it was a 'thrill' to be going to Brazil upon his selection earlier this year.
'It is an honour to represent Norfolk, and indeed England, at any tournament. The fact that this one is being held in Brazil, who are hosting their first World Cup since 1950, is extra special.
'I am very grateful to my family and friends for all their support over the years in helping me realise this dream, my selection wouldn't have been possible without them,' he said.
The refereeing team have already been involved in a number of high-profile games, including the 2010 World Cup final.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cann, 44, was originally a promising player in the Norwich City youth team and later joined Crystal Palace's youth set-up.
Once he was released, he went on a refereeing course, and became a referee in 1991.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 4 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 5 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 6 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 7 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 8 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 9 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
- 10 Delays on A47 following crash
The father-of-two also formerly worked at the Lloyds TSB branch in the Heartsease area of Norwich but gave the job up to concentrate on refereeing.