Our people in Brazil: Darren Cann joins Howard Webb’s refereeing team for another World Cup
- Credit: Archant
Darren Cann, from Poringland, will be part of a trio of officials which includes referee Howard Webb and assistant Mike Mullarkey for the tournament in Brazil this summer.
Mr Cann said it was a 'thrill' to be going to Brazil upon his selection earlier this year.
'It is an honour to represent Norfolk, and indeed England, at any tournament. The fact that this one is being held in Brazil, who are hosting their first World Cup since 1950, is extra special.
'I am very grateful to my family and friends for all their support over the years in helping me realise this dream, my selection wouldn't have been possible without them,' he said.
The refereeing team have already been involved in a number of high-profile games, including the 2010 World Cup final.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cann, 44, was originally a promising player in the Norwich City youth team and later joined Crystal Palace's youth set-up.
Once he was released, he went on a refereeing course, and became a referee in 1991.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 3 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 4 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 7 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 8 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 9 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 10 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
The father-of-two also formerly worked at the Lloyds TSB branch in the Heartsease area of Norwich but gave the job up to concentrate on refereeing.