Oulton Broad racing sees boat from new X1 Riverboat class
Sunday was another beautiful sailing day on Oulton Broad although a bit more wind would have made the sailing more exciting and prevented all the races having to be shortened.
The first Fast Handicap was enlivened by the first appearance on Oulton Broad by a boat from a brand new class called the X1 Riverboat. The light conditions suited it and it was soon out in front by a considerable distance followed by Duncan Madin's RS100 and Richard Fryer's RS400. On corrected time the X1 dropped a place as Madin moved up to first with Ben Falat picking up places to move up from fifth to third.
David Gooch and Gilly Foulds were the easy leaders in the Squib class, followed by John Lockwood and Helen Taylor with Richard Sullivan third.
The second Fast Handicap race was dominated even more by the X1 Riverboat who finished a massive nine minutes in front of Nick Barrett sailing the first RS400. On corrected time the leader stayed in front but David Frary moved up to second in his Finn, leap frogging Ben Falat's Phantom.
Alan Cone was back in the Lasers and proved he has not lost his touch by finishing out in front of Simon Marfleet with Veronica Falat third.
You may also want to watch:
Most remarkable sail of the day was that of John Lockwood in the Squibs. The excitement of finishing first and second in the first Squib race had obviously got to David Gooch and John Lockwood and they were both well over the line at the start. Gooch returned quite quickly but Lockwood had more difficulty in getting back before he set off after the fleet. He quickly closed the big gap and steadily picked off the fleet until near the end of the second round he moved into the lead and won by the narrowest of distance as the course was shortened, beating Richard Dell by inches with Owen Delany third.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 3 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 4 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 5 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 8 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 9 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 10 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success