Osei bags first goal in Lowestoft win at Lewes

A first goal for the club for Manny Osei set Lowestoft on course for an excellent two-goal victory away to Lewes, their first ever victory at the Dripping Pan.

Curtis Haynes-Brown returned to the starting line up after injury, replacing the ill Dan Gleeson.

Haynes-Brown was soon in the action sending a raking forward pass to Jake Reed who reached the by line and pulled the ball back to Osei who blazed high over the bar. Robert Eagle then set up a chance for Reed who was inches too high.

It was not all one-way traffic in an even first half which saw a break down the left by Dan Smith ending with a cross that flashed across the face of the goal with no one able to get a touch. Nathan Crabb made a great run down the right and his low cross found Dan Smith who completely miskicked in front of goal from six yards.

A fine interchange between Adam Smith, Eagle and Osei ended with a Rossi Jarvis glancing header across the face of the goal.

It took Lowestoft just five minutes after the interval to break the deadlock.

Sam Gaughran had stayed up front following a partially cleared corner and when the ball was played back in by Jarvis he touched the ball on to Osei who brought it down well before turning and shooting inside the post from the edge of the area.

Most Read

Lewes responded with a cross from Jay Lovett finding Dan Smith whose header rebounded out off the crossbar.

In a fairly even contest it was Lowestoft who continued to carve out the better chances with Osei setting up Jack Ainsley who curled his effort just over the top.

Lowestoft had a great chance to increase their lead in the 64th minute when Reed was brought down in the area by Andy Pearson but the striker's poorly struck spot kick was easily saved by Rikki Banks.

Haynes-Brown who had been outstanding forming a solid barrier with Gaughran limped off after 66 minutes being replaced by Chris Henderson with Ainsley dropping back into defence.

Lowestoft added the comfort of a second goal in the 73rd minute with Henderson making ground down the right and crossing for Eagle to net with a fine downward header.

In a game without one bad foul there was a total of nine yellow cards which resulted in both Nathan Crabb for Lewes and Eagle for Lowestoft being sent off in the final 10 minutes.

Stuart Ainsley came off the bench in added time and almost added a third goal with an audacious Beckhamesque effort from the halfway line which saw Banks scampering back towards his goal and breathing a sigh of relief as the ball landed on the roof of the net.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter