Oliver Bradfield is back on form with javelin in Anglian Schools championships
The Anglian Schools championships at Peterborough gave athletes a last chance to achieve qualifying performances for the English Schools championships.
There were some excellent performances from Norfolk`s young athletes. Perhaps the best came from Oliver Bradfield. He is back to throwing the javelin again after an injury-ruined season last year, and achieved the excellent distance of 65. 08m. An athlete who has improved considerably this year is Sasha Birrell. She cleared 3.20m in the pole vault and is another who will be looking to do well at Gateshead.
Dominic Burnham is another junior athlete who has made his mark this year. In blustery conditions he won both the 100m in 11.92 secs and 200m 24.15 secs. Elliott Holland ran well but was third in the junior boys 400m in a promising 53.8 secs. Another pole vaulter who will be delighted with his performance is Ed Boorman who cleared 3.80m to qualify for the championships for the first time.
On the track Scott Greeves ran a confident 800m, running from the front in a time only just outside two minutes. After leading in the junior boys 1500m Ashley Waterson was pipped on the line and recorded 4 mins 16 secs. Another thrower to do well was Jonathan Tomes who threw 46m 86 in the junior boys; javelin. Newcomer Isaac Lacey threw the shot out to 13m 42. Catherine Oliver cleared 1m 62 in the high-jump to qualify in the under-17 age group and the talented Naotoya Rimmer dashed across from the 100m final to clear 1m 57 in the U15 high jump
Norfolk finished third overall in the Anglian Schools championship and will take at team of 25 to the English Schools championships at Gateshead on July 6-7. The team chosen to represent the county is:
Junior girls: shot - Lucy Brice and Amie Hutchison, high jump - Natoya Rimmer.
Junior boys: 200m -Dominic Burnham, 1500m - Ashley Waterson, triple-jump - Jonathan Deraden, javelin - Jonathan Tomes, 400m - Elliott Holland, long-jump -Ashley Cooper.
- 1 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 2 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 3 Six fire crews battle large field blaze in south Norfolk
- 4 Film crews for Paramount crime series to visit ANOTHER Norfolk village
- 5 Woman stabbed in neck and arm in city park
- 6 Here's when parents can get complimentary tickets to BeWILDerwood
- 7 Come and meet the animals you could adopt at RSPCA open day
- 8 Thieves run off with alcohol worth nearly £5,000 from Tesco
- 9 New 250-space car park could be created near picturesque Norfolk harbour
- 10 Mum's warning after children almost stung by jellyfish
Intermediate girls: 100m - Laura Johnson, high-jump - Lucy Ann Williams, high-jump Catherine Oliver, pole vault Sasha Williams, hammer Megan Rushmore and Gemma Vickery, javelin - Emily Jamison,
Intermediate boys: 800m - Scott Greeves, javelin - Oliver Bradfield, pole vault - Ed Boorman, shot - Isaac Lacey.
Senior girls: 100m - Clieo Stephenson, 100m Victoria Williamson
Senior boys: hammer -Callum Brown, triple jump - Jimi Tele, 200m Richard Taylor.