Old Streetonians 32, Lowestoft & Yarmouth 9
In a display typical of Lowestoft and Yarmouth's inconsistent season so far they slipped to defeat on Hackney Marshes.
Instead of building on their excellent efforts last week at home to second-placed Woodford, they failed to mentally switch on against second-from-bottom Old Streets and paid the price. Rather than coming away with a targeted bonus point win, they conceded five points and gave the home club a welcome sniff of relieving their own relegation worries.
L&Y had a difficult build-up to the game, losing regular scrum-half and key player Russ Chapman to work commitments on Thursday and then his promising replacement Stuart Moore to flu on Friday.
This meant captain Scott Nelson bravely stood in at No 9 with Dave Tiueti at fly-half, but the reshuffle proved disruptive and was instrumental in the defeat.
The visitors struggled to get to terms with Old Streets' bustling play and committed defence and while Tiueti bagged three first half penalties, they went in to half- time down 13-9 to a converted try and two home penalties.
You may also want to watch:
Streets then scored the crucial first try of the second half and thereafter their increased morale pushed them on to two further scores and a well deserved home win.
L&Y have to get back on the training paddock and search for a couple more wins to make their season safe. They are away again on Saturday, to mid-table Enfield Ignatians, while Holt, who were without a game at the weekend, host Chelmsford.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 5 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 8 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 9 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 10 Family's tribute to much loved motorcyclist, 21, involved in A10 crash