Oakleys triumph in mixed pairs final
The Great Yarmouth Independent Newspapers sponsored mixed pairs competition was won by the father and daughter team of Rachel and Gary Oakley of the Norfolk Bowling Club.
In yesterday's final they played another team from the same club, Louise Knights and Richard Summers.
Louise and Richard started the game the better and after five of the 14 ends to be played were 9-3 in front.
Gary and his partner reduced the deficit to 9-6 after eight ends, only for their opponents to score on the next three ends to lead 13-6.
Gary and Rachel scored two shots on each of the next two ends to be three behind.
You may also want to watch:
Rachel then had two of her bowls touching the jack and with Louise not getting close with any of hers it was left to Richard to save the day.
Gary drew in with two of his bowls to lay game and Richard surprisingly failed to reduce the count, with his last bowl leaving Rachel and Gary as the 2011 champions.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 6 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 7 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
- 8 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 9 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 10 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
In their Semi-final Louise and Richard played Christina and John Laskey of the Santo Antonio Bowls Club, Portugal.
The Laskeys struggled to find a length and soon found themselves 12-1 down.
A three on the next revived their hopes but a comeback did not materialise and they finally lost 16-6.
In their semi-final the Oakley pair played Shelia Hardingham and Terry Gibson (Dilham).
This was a close game with the Oakleys leading 7-5 after five ends and still leading 11-9 after 10 of the 12 ends to be played.
Shelia and Terry gained a single shot on the penultimate end but could not get the shot on the last end so the Oakleys won 13-10 to go into the final.
The losing quarter-finalists were C Daniels and I Platford (Lowestoft Railway), Arthur Hutt and Kathy Woolston (Roundwood), Susan Moore and Sid Seily (Martham) and Ken and Dawn Rippon (King's Lynn).
Today sees the start of the Potters Leisure of Hopton Sponsored Mixed Triples. Play starts at 9am.