NWGFL round-up: Sprowston Ladies claim crucial win in race for title over Bungay Town Ladies
- Credit: Archant
Sprowston Ladies struck a crucial blow in the race for the Norfolk Women's and Girls' Football League Division One title with a 2-0 win at home against Bungay Town Ladies.
Sprowston are six points clear after this top-of-the-table clash as goals from Abbigail Tate and Calista Tink defeated their closest rivals.
Bungay's miserable day was completed when it was confirmed that Beth Clarke had suffered a broken wrist in trying to prevent the first goal whilst in the second half Abbie Everson suffered damage to her knee ligaments.
The result is a blow to Bungay although they are certainly not out of the title reckoning yet as before Saturday's game they romped to an 8-0 win over Fakenham courtesy of goals from Nicola Hazell, Emily Leach, Selina Rowland, Samantha Walker (hat-trick), and Arianna-Louise Lloyd.
If they can win their remaining four games then they could still take the championship thanks to a better goal difference than Sprowston Ladies.
You may also want to watch:
Thorpe United Ladies also cannot be discounted in third place although they were held to a 2-2 draw at North Walsham Ladies.
Laura Hedtke and Shanice Sutton got the goals for United whilst Maryanne Hoy and Sian Wager netted for the Angels.
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Jail for 'Jekyll and Hyde' builder who made customer 'fear for her life'
Nicole Sheldrake got the only goal of the game as Gorleston Ladies claimed all three points against Wymondham Town Ladies Reserves.
Four goals from Sam King helped Fakenham Town to their second win of the season over Long Stratton Ladies whilst Sian Sands was also on target.
In Division Two Bure Valley Wildcats Ladies beat Tavern Ladies 2-0 courtesy of goals from Kiera Brown and Carrie Last.
FC Sprowston could effectively wrap up the Division Two title this weekend when they travel to Gorleston Rangers.
Victory would all but give them the title with Beccles Town Ladies having a much inferior goal difference. Beccles will be looking to take advantage of any slip ups though when they entertain Bure Valley Wildcats Ladies.
In the Under-12s Girls Division North Walsham eased to a 9-0 win over Horsford Hurricanes thanks to goals from Alisha (4), Chloe (2) and Isla (2).