Norwich United 3 Tilbury 3: Late penalty drama denies Planters victory
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Norwich United were denied victory by a controversial penalty three minutes from time against Tilbury.
The Dockers player looked to already be on his way down but the referee pointed to the spot and Jack Carlile made no mistake from 12 yards.
The Planters had led after just three minutes, a quick break saw Adam Hipperson carry the ball from deep and into the Tilbury box before squaring for Liam Jackson, who side-footed the ball home from 10 yards out.
The lead didn't last long however and a patient build up in the 12th minute saw Tom Anderson latch onto a ball through the middle and slot home from close range. Nine minutes later and the Dockers were in front, the impressive Toby Aromolaran cut in from the left and his shot was saved by Andy Wilton but it was bundled home by Charlie Little.
Nathan Stewart played in Hipperson wide on the right and his shot was tipped over by Dockers' keeper Russell Harley.
You may also want to watch:
Stewart grabbed the equaliser in the 28th minute, receiving the ball some 25 yards out, he dismissed an option of playing the ball out to the right wing, deciding to take a stride towards goal before arrowing a fine shot into the far bottom corner.
Moments later Stewart almost put the Planters in front as he brought the ball down in a crowded area before bringing a good save out of Harley.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 4 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 7 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 8 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
- 9 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
- 10 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
The Planters were ahead after 34 minutes however, a long range shot from Hipperson was spilled by Harley and Jackson pounced to round the keeper and slot home from an acute angle on the left.
With the pitch getting heavier both defences adapted to the conditions after the break although Dockers' defender Siju Odelusi was lucky to escape a second yellow after an identical foul on Hipperson to that which earned his first card.
In a second half of few chances Stewart and Sam Watts were both denied by Harley, and the Planters denied the visitors a clear chance until the late penalty drama.
Whilst disappointed in not taking all the points Steve Eastaugh's team are now unbeaten in seven games.
Norwich United: Wilton, Mackie, Applegate, Wones, Eastaugh, Watts, Henery (Probert 66), Pollock (Datocampol 90), Stewart (Carroll 84), Jackson, Hipperson.
Tilbury: Harley, Odelusi (McWee 74), Turpin, Anderson, Benoit, Salami, Little, Carlile, Vyse, Aromolaran (James 48), Abebayo (Dance 60).
Referee: George Byrne. Assistants: Ryan Thurbin & Edward Frazer.