Norwich United through to third round of the FA Vase

Norwich United reached the third round of the FA Vase for the first time in 11 seasons with an impressive 3-2 victory at Enfield 1893.

The Planters started strongly and were awarded an eighth minute penalty when Paul Cook was fouled in the area by Scott Curley. Matt Blake's spot kick was well saved by Enfield kepper Alex Jennings but Ian Hunter was first to react and finished well.

With Curley then sent off for an off the ball incident once again involving Cook and spotted by the linesman in the 21st minute, the Planters were facing just 10 men.

A lovely move three minutes into the second half saw Hunter run strongly down the right before setting up Cook, who drilled home.

Thoughts of seeing the game home comfortably were dashed when the linesman spotted an infringement which gave Enfield a 75th minute lifeline from the spot which John Brickmill duly converted. Six minutes later and the hosts were level after Harry Prince had a strong run down the left and fired home inside Ben Nower's near post.

The Planters responded in the best way possible when four minutes from time Adam Bennett hit a deep free kick on the right to the far post where Jennings spilled the ball and it fell to Hunter who controlled and fired through a ruck of players and inside the fast post to put the Planters into the third round.

Great Yarmouth's FA Vase dream was brought to an end in heartbreaking fashion as a last-minute goal gave Hanwell victory at Wellesley Road.

Most Read

The visitors made it difficult for themselves as left back Dominic Rhode saw the red card in the second minute after elbowing centre back Ady Ager. It did not affect the London-based side though as they took the lead on 49 minutes through Ricky Pither. With 10 minutes remaining Leighton Crux bagged an equaliser but Ian Bywater's 30-yard effort settled the tie.

Kirkley & Pakefield were in Thurlow Nunn Premier Division action as they continued their fine form to see off Diss at Walmer Road. Ross King set the Royals on their way but the Tangerines levelled from the spot early in the second half. King restored Kirkley's lead with a composed finish and an excellent Gary Williams free-kick sealed the points.

Thetford had to settle for a 1-1 draw at home to Godmanchester.

In the first division Fakenham eased to a 3-0 win at March Town thanks to goals from Matt Gilchrist, Kyle Plumb and James Page.

An Alex Vincent hat-trick helped Swaffham Town to a thrilling 4-3 win at home to Sudbury Reserves.

Downham slipped to a 3-2 defeat at home to Stowmarket while Dereham Reserves lost out by the same scoreline against Halstead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter