Norwich United spectator assaults referee - who is also a police officer
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
Police had to be called to a Norwich United game after a spectator assaulted a referee - who happened to be an off-duty officer.
Daniel Hanna was attacked following Godmanchester Rovers' 3-0 victory over Norwich at the David Wilson Homes Ground, in Bearscroft, on Saturday.
The incident followed the dismissal of a player, who was sent off in the closing stages of the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division game.
Godmanchester chairman Karly Hurst said: 'The referee was returning to his changing room after the game when he was approached by a Norwich United supporter who then assaulted him.
'We initially tried to usher the person responsible out of the ground, but it turned out the referee was a policeman himself and he did not want the person to get away with what he had done.
You may also want to watch:
'A couple of our club officials helped to detain the person in the car park until the police arrived.
'It was unsavoury and uncalled for. Whatever you think of referees, they go out and do a very difficult job.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 6 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 7 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 8 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 9 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 10 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns
'It's a shame that something like that happened on such a good day for our club, but the referee has already sent us our thanks for assisting him afterwards.'
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said: 'We were called to Godmanchester Rovers Football Club in Bearscroft Lane, to reports that a man in his 20s had been assaulted. Investigations are ongoing.'
•What are your experiences of how referees are treated in the lower leagues? You can leave your comments below.