Norwich United spectator assaults referee - who is also a police officer
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
Police had to be called to a Norwich United game after a spectator assaulted a referee - who happened to be an off-duty officer.
Daniel Hanna was attacked following Godmanchester Rovers' 3-0 victory over Norwich at the David Wilson Homes Ground, in Bearscroft, on Saturday.
The incident followed the dismissal of a player, who was sent off in the closing stages of the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division game.
Godmanchester chairman Karly Hurst said: 'The referee was returning to his changing room after the game when he was approached by a Norwich United supporter who then assaulted him.
'We initially tried to usher the person responsible out of the ground, but it turned out the referee was a policeman himself and he did not want the person to get away with what he had done.
You may also want to watch:
'A couple of our club officials helped to detain the person in the car park until the police arrived.
'It was unsavoury and uncalled for. Whatever you think of referees, they go out and do a very difficult job.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 3 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 4 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 5 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 6 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 7 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
- 8 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 9 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 10 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
'It's a shame that something like that happened on such a good day for our club, but the referee has already sent us our thanks for assisting him afterwards.'
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police said: 'We were called to Godmanchester Rovers Football Club in Bearscroft Lane, to reports that a man in his 20s had been assaulted. Investigations are ongoing.'
•What are your experiences of how referees are treated in the lower leagues? You can leave your comments below.