Norwich United match abandoned within seconds as player is taken to hospital
- Credit: Submitted
Norwich United saw their clash with Soham abandoned within seconds, following a nasty injury to captain Andy Eastaugh.
A clash of heads very early in the game on Bank Holiday Monday left the defender needing medical attention, with a suspected fractured cheekbone and concussion.
The Ryman League Division One North match was then halted after consultation with both managers.
The former Wroxham defender was conscious and smiling when being checked over by paramedics but was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridgeshire for further treatment.
Soham joint-manager Robbie Nightingale said he was scared for Eastaugh following the collision.
You may also want to watch:
'It was the coming together of two big guys,' Nightingale said. 'We knew it was bad from the player's reactions. Seeing a player in a heap unconscious is scary.
'Our lad didn't think he had hit him with his head, but as soon as we saw him laying there we knew it was a bad one straight away.'
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 4 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 5 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 6 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 7 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 8 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 9 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 10 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
Norwich United later said on Twitter: 'Good news regarding @Yendog86 (Eastaugh) after scan there is no brain damage and no breaks however staying in hospital due to severe concussion.
'Typical @Yendog86 can not recall collision but when told what happened he said 'Did I win the header?' #topman'
Eastaugh tweeted on Tuesday to inform everyone that he is okay and to thank Soham and United for their cooperation and support.
The game was abandoned with the score at 0-0 and the match has been rearranged to be played on Tuesday October 25.