Norwich United 1 Hertford Town 2: Second defeat of busy week for Planters
- Credit: George Phillipou/TGS Photo
Norwich United, incuding the on-loan Matt Blake in their line up, suffered their second defeat of a crowded midweek when they went down at home to Hertford Town on Thursday.
The visitors took the lead in the sixth minute when Jay Lovell's long throw from the right was headed in from close range by Jason Beck.
Adam Hipperson, returning from suspension, pulled a shot wide and Orren Oliver, making his first start, and Nathan Stewart were both denied by the keeper Charlie Mann.
Hertford extended their lead in the 25th minute when George Lutaaya's shot came off the crossbar and before the ball could be cleared Charlie Ruff netted from 10 yards.
Oliver saw a header come back off the upright and Shaun Wones' header at the far post was scrambled away.
You may also want to watch:
After the break Nathan Stewart had a lovely dribble into the area but fired wide of the near post. Stewart then picked out Matt Blake at the far post, but the prolific striker couldn't get over it and headed narrowly over.
Andy Wilton twice had to save from Emmanuel Osei as the visitors proved dangerous on the break and Osei hit a third chance wide as the Planters were caught pushing forward.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 3 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 4 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 5 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 9 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
Three minutes from time Stewart got clear down the right and picked out Blake, who controlled and turned before firing home from near the penalty spot.
Hipperson cut in from the left in the closing stages but his shot was well saved by Mann who pushed the ball wide to end the Planters hopes of a late equaliser.
Planters: Wilton, Barker, Rose, Jones, Wones, Watts, Stewart, Pollock (Jackson 72), Oliver (Mackie 64), Blake, Hipperson. Unused subs: Applegate, Hitch, Probert.
Hertford: Mann, Sharman, Toner, Thomson, Lovell, Beck, Lutaaya, Illsley, Osei, Ruff (Light 83), O'Connor (Lowen 90). Unused subs: Palmer, Cole, Draper.
Referee: A Sannerude.